1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low long before starting to shoot registered

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Im sure this has probably been discussed before but since I'm new I will ask it again. I have started shooting again after a roughly 3 year break from trap. I am shooting more consistently than I ever have been, at least once a week, sometimes twice. I guess my question has a couple parts, how long should someone "practice" before going to a registered shoot? Also, what kind of avaerage should one be shooting before they will feel confident that they will not get embarrased at a registered shoot. Finally, how often (how amany rounds a week) should one practice to get into the more elite levels of the game?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Why wait at all?!

Use registered targets on occasion to measure your present progress. How are you going to embarrass yourself?! Having the confidence to document your scores on paper says something about you...

Unless you're playing the options, you're only shooting against yourself and if you've given everything you have, out on the line and done your best on that day - you don't have to apologize for anything.

After you determine where you want to go with your shooting, what skills you now have (and those that need help) and how you're progressing; those factors will dictate the practice schedule and the specific skills to work on to meet your goals. Buddy Up... it'll keep you motivated...

Good Luck and send in your dues today!

Jay

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

How often one should practice in order to start performing like a big dog is relative to the natural skill of the shooter, his/her finances, and ability/inability to schedule the time. Nobody can answer that question for you.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If I waited till I shot like a big dog, I'd have wasted about 40 years on practice. There's no better practice than in competition with the real thing. Start NOW! You'll never post the lowest score on the board......Bob Dodd

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

BrowningPotato- You should start shooting registered birds no later than this weekend. Practice is good, especially if you are working on correcting a problem. I would only try to concentrate on correcting one problem at a time.

I would be more concerned about the quality of practice rather than the amount of practice. I find it difficult to concentrate on practice targets so I sometimes just shoot the practice targets and only accomplish practicing bad habits. If you can shoot registered targets nearly every weekend, you don't need to practice a lot. If you can't shoot registered targets that often, then more practice would be in order.

Pat Ireland

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Every question you asked is subjective and can only be answered by you based on the time you have available and your financial situation ... Shooting consistant 20's is not the same as shooting consistant 24's or 25's which is what it takes to compete and win at most levels ... Your time, your money, make up your own mind ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I tell any new shooter interested in shooting ATA to start now. Win your way up and win your way back. Some of my favorite trophies are D class and 20yrd hcp. There is nothing like that first win. If you wait till you have an A class average, you will make it much harder to get that first win. And you will miss out on a lot of fun. Start now!!!

8. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. I do not know anyone personally (though I am sure there are plenty of guys at the club if I would ask around) that shoots registered shoots so I do not know much about it. It just seemed like 100 bird programs are generally pretty expensive and if I can not compete to the level of the competition yet, why waste the money. Seems as though I would be better off shooting 4 practice rounds for less money, perhaps this thought process is flawed but that is always how I have thought about it. I would like to shoot registered sometime soon, but I have yet to even break the 25 straight barrier, let alone shoot competitively.

9. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

I agree with OGC Director. I am a relative newbie as well. I started shooting trap almost two years ago. It is a growth experience, a process of learning what works for you. Part of that growth is shooting under the added pressure of competition and, as stated above, nothing feels as good or looks so fine as that first D class singles trophy. Besides, you will meet a lot of fine people at the larger (state or zone)registered shoots. Take the plunge now and enjoy!

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you can't break them in practice when there is no pressure, how are you going to break them when under the pressures of competetion ... If your at a shoot and see Vultures flying around its your money they are looking at, like picking your pocket only legally ... Play it all, go to only bigger shoots you'll learn faster because you'll lose more quicker ... If that is not enough incentive to make you want to learn what is ..? lol ... Your time, your money, you set the pace ... Practice, practice, practice and if you get a chance take some instrutions from one of the Big Dogs it will be money well spent ... Phil Kiner has a great instrution DVD that will help most any shooter starting out, then go from there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

my trap shooting started with a friend getting me too shoot a registerd winter leauge,,,,I did not even realy know what the differnce was ,,,,he was a big help in my shooting,,,and we have shot together for the past 7 yrs,,,,each of us getting better ,,,the little bit of compatition between us keeps us sharp

12. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I know this is truely showing my ignorance, but can someone explain to me why it would be beneficial to pay the extra money to shoot registered as opposed to equivelent practice rounds, particularly if you will not be competitive? Also, I find it hard to believe someone that says " so you get used to shooting under pressure" because if you know you are not competing to win then there should be no added pressure. Therefore, I guess my question is, at what point is it worth the extra money to shoot registered rather than practice, only when you are in a position to possibly win?

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If you keep thinking that you are not competitive, then you will remain uncompetitive.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Browningtater, do not wait. There I like majority suggest you get this started. It may be slightly more expensive than practice depending on clubs you shoot at but selectivenesss might uncover a place that registered is only slightly more costly. Unless your one of the fortunate that has a practice facility that is $2 or $3 per round. I also believe that you will advance quicker from my experience watching young to the game shooters than what you will just goofing around practicing. As Pat said above, use practice to work on specific problems and if you shoot reg. often enough you may find that practice is not needed. As for advancing, read recurvy's post. Taking a class from one of the premier coaches in our game will help get you on the right track with objectives to increase ability at a faster pace. Then its up to you to follow their teachings. If a class is not available or unafordable at this time then but a good DVD.

15. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Pheasant, you are probably very correct about whatching others at a registered shoot, between that and possible networking it may be worth the extra money. As far as taking lessons, what is the generally cost of such lessons (obviously that will depend on the area but is there a "going rate) and how do you know who is a good instructor in your area?

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Browning, most of the respected/knowledgable coaches travel and most likely get relatively close to your area. If you post where you frequent I will be happy to help you out. Coaches that I recommend would be Leo, Harlan, Frank Hoppe, Nora and Kiner if you live close enough to him. PM me and I will help you out. Cost is depending on one or two day clinics but in the $300 range give or take depending on the instructor.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

The only reason I would practice is to improve my registered scores and maybe some day get good enough to beat Pheasantmaster just once.

Pat Ireland

18. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

BrowningPotato,

I have only been shooting ATA for a year and my comment is that every ATA shoot is a learning experience. I learn things that help my shooting that I could never experienced in "practice". For me, and this is personal, I can't get the level of intensity practicing that I get an ATA shoot. I experience the competition, the shooting in conditions that I would never go practice in that destroys my concentration for that round or day, but toughens me for the next time I have to shoot in those conditions. I set goals and if I reach thm I consider it victory. I have surprised myself and won some bling in Zone and State shoots that I wasn't expecting so that was double victory. Those victories would never have come if I stayed at the home field and practiced.

YMMV,

HBT

19. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

BrowningPotato you have hit the nail on the head. I registered this year for the first time however looking at the shoot schedule and the fees involved, I don't think I can afford to shoot many registered targets at all. My goal was to shoot the Annie Oakley at Millingon Maryland in two weeks and at this point I don't think I can afford to EVEN If I only shoot the program with none of the options. For instance, I was looking at the Millington Trap Schedule, to shoot the 3 events at the Annie Oakley that I wanted to shoot, it will cost me $91 to shoot a total of 300 targets. No options. If I add the options, it's $35 more. 12 rounds would cost me $48 ($4 per round) at any of the clubs INCLUDING the practice traps at Millinton.

Your point of shooting in leagues or practice versus ATA targets is a very valid point. This is my problem because I can not afford to support this sport with the abandon that many people on here can. However in this economy I am looking at getting a second job just to support the shooting I do and I am sure I am not alone. The ONLY reason I signed up for ATA targets was to be able to shoot at some of the larger shoots where friends and acquaintances are shooting rather than visiting them in between the shoots and shooting practice. Looks like I likely will not succeed to that extent.

I was looking forward to this year, but it looks like I will be concentrating on the league again and not shooting any ATA shoots regularly.

Luvn (I'd give you the 0.02 cents but I need it)

20. JRW

JRW Member

What no one has mentioned is the fact, you will be classified at an ATA shoot. Meaning you will be shooting against shooters of your ability, making you competitive. Jerry in MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.