1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Light Shooting Tips

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rscotty, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

I've been shooting in a league in the evenings and as the days get shorter, we're losing light by the time we're shooting 'caps. I'm finding that my last round of 'caps is suffering in comparison to the rest of my shooting which brings me to my question:

Does anyone have any tips for shooting in low light conditions?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rich...There is a saying that goes like this: Lights up/Sights up....Lights down/Sights down. In low light conditions it pays to hold a lower gun....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

What a timely thread, as I try to recover from a sparkling 16 at the 26 yard line last night....

Think Dan is onto something...I found as I held a lower gun I was doing better last night. And I was still shooting the tops off. Afterward, talking with an instructor, he put it thusly:

When you can't see the target too well, you tend to run right over the target.

Made sense to me.

4. mecman

mecman TS Member

Vermillion shooting lenses for your glasses work very well, they make the clay birds look florescent yellow, sorry for any mispelling, Gary

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why not just get a couple of lights?

If you put some really high power flood lights inside the trap house you would have no problem seeing the bird emerge from the light like a white dove of peace leaving the bright gates of heaven as it journeys its way to get blasted out of the sky.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

DULL UP BRIGHT DOWN is my saying. Also use lighter or clear lenses.

TB

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

DULL UP BRIGHT DOWN is my saying. Also use lighter or clear lenses.

TB

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Okay, what does your saying mean?

9. idoc

idoc Member

Rich

As the light in your environment decreases there is a shift in the eye toward using your rods (night vision) rather than cones (color vision). Without getting too complicated: pursuit movements i.e. tracking a target and saccadic movements i.e. going from one target to another in doubles are enhanced by cone (macular) function. Therefore, the most light you can let in the better. As you get older the eyes are denser letting less light in anyways (Youth is wasted on the young). The best reccomendation I can make is a 80% transmission lens with a anti-reflective coating. The coating is expensive, scratches easier, and requires more cleaning i.e. pain in the A__ but it will increase the transmission of the lens by as much as 10%. That is significant. All your glasses people have lenses like this avaiable if you ask............Hope this helps, Rich

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

idoc is 100% correct. Get clear lenses with the anti-reflective coating on them...costs more but helps the vision - no doubt about it. Best Regards, Ed

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

DON'T move until you see the damn target. That includes moving your eyes.

jim brown

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

dull light eyes up and out. Bright light down and in. Answer your question.

T

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes Rich.....I have a tip....tell 'em to get some bloody LIGHTS!

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If your going to be shooting at night I found this to be the best for me. I do not shoot until it is dark out lights on. Use very psle yellow or clear lense. Do not look near the lights. I stay out side. Ill sit on the darker side of the club house Away from bright close lights. Works ok for me. If I get their early and go through the light change from dusk to dark I seem to shoot lower scores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tips for low light shotgun