1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOusy doubles shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I really stink @ doubles. My singles gun is a high rib SBT, with the fastest trigger out there (release). My doubles gun is a Beretta 682, with an add on rib & a release /pull trigger. Could the difference in triggers be the root of my problem--if so--does anyone think I might have to go to a combo?

Phil Berkowitz

2. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I am just learning the doubles game, but was fortunate enough to find a gun very early into my young ATA shooting career that fits me very, very well and I shoot well and improvingly well. This 686 is a top single that makes me feel like I am just pointing my finger and breaking birds at both 16's and 'caps.

For doubles, I am shooting a superposed....shorter, lighter, shoots pretty well, but not like the 686. My friends that have seen me shoot all believe that I will pick up a good number of doubles birds if I just find a 30 or 32" doubles barrel for the 686.

I am looking, we shall see.

Regards,
    Chip

3. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I could not shoot doubles until I learned how to focus. Doubles should be easier to shoot than singles as you know where the birds are going but if your not focusing on the first bird as soon as it hits air that might be your problem. Guns will make a difference later after the focus.

Kay gives the best class for learning the focus, IMO

CM

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it is a different game than singles, you need to do things differently with your eyes. If point of impact on your two guns is much different then that could be some of your problem. Find a good doubles shooter and ask them to work with you, watch good doubles shooters and see what they do and you don't, next you need to find what works for you. your first bird should be shot with very little gun movement and if you wait to see it break you are waiting to long! immediately after the first shot,STAY IN THE GUN your eyes should seek and lock onto second target swing to it and break it. a wall chart is a big help for most, but nothing is better than spending time behind the gun and working out your way to shoot. more is better as long as you are improving. learn to manage your mental game.

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Phil,

For the first couple of years I shot trap I was using 2 guns. (Ljutic & Browning Special Trap) My doubles game sucked. There was wwaaayyy too much difference in the "feel" and POI of both guns to shoot all 3 disciplines well. I finally went to a Kolar combo and while singles & caps averages remained the
    same my doubles game finally started to take shape. It took about a complete season to become proficient. (low 90's) I really believe that for many shooters a combo set is the only way to elevate your game in all 3 events. However, there are many folks out there that can shoot this sport using multiple guns. Not sure if they're better shooters of if I'm just a slow learner.

Good luck.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I learned to shoot doubles with a Model 12. and was happy until a friend lent me a Browning Superposed. Then I had to have one of those. Doubles scores didn't improve but I looked like I knew what I was doing. Now, I shoot a double release and have "machine gunned" first birds more often then I wish to admit. Gotta admit, really make black talc out of first targets. By the time I learn this game, I'll be too old to take advantage of the knowledge. Oh well, it's fun! And you thought you were lousy!

Big Jack

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Phil.... I sucked at doubles for the first 3 years of shooting (2006-2009). I did 2 things. Took Nora Ross's clinic and bought a seperate singles gun and use my Geurini combo O/U for doubles. Each gun has a different fit to me. My problem was primarily not knowing where the O/U was shooting so I spent an entire day patterning it. Most importantly, and I believe the most common mistake that everyone makes, is while swinging to the second bird, you swing off your cheek. Nora confirmed this at her clinic. What I try to do now is try to press forward especially on the second bird. It seems to work when I can think of doing it. Good luck.

blade819

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

The first shot in doubles is different than any other shot in trap...it is pretty much a "trick shot" that has to be learned. Once you learn how to make this first shot, there is time to seek, see, and shoot the second target before it starts to drop.

Easier said than done, but certainly "learnable".

bluedsteel

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shoot some skeet! LOL, learn to keep your head on stock between shots.

10. JRW

JRW Member

I agree with bluedsteel. If you can go to the club and have a trap set on any target, then practice the first shot only. You should be able to learn what to do on the first shot. When confident that you are going to break the first target, work on second bird. Jerry

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Try setting your POI up identical to your singles gun. Both barrels. Shoot the first bird as fast as you are capable with control. On the first bird, pick out something in the background as a reference for where it will be. A tree, telephone pole, bush, etc, and set up to be beside the bird when it appears so the barrel doesn't cover it coming out of the house.

Shoot the first bird quickly, but with control. Then keep your head down on the stock as you swing to the 2nd bird and your eyes will lead you to the target. You want to shoot the first bird fast enough that the 2nd bird isn't falling before you get to it.

It's not a trick shot, you just have to pay attention! Momemtum will determine how much lead you need on the 2nd target on stations 1 and 5.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Phil,

Try not being the leadoff shooter and look at where the first bird is traveling and find a referance point in the background. Hold the gun at that referance point when you call for the target. When the bird appears over the top of the barrel, pull/release the trigger and move to your next target swinging about the hips. Set your stance so that your lead foot is pointing to the second bird. The will allow you to swing more comfortably and in a controlled fashion.

I also found that shooting a 7/8oz 1225 fps shell (mine use 8.5's) for the first bird really helped me quicken up my acquisition of the second target. I've only missed one first bird in the last 2000 doubles I fired so I know the shell works well.

If you have a good local doubles shooter, have him look at you while you shoot. If you are doing anything real bad, he/she will notice it very quickly.

Good luck and hang in there! If you do get a chance, shoot some skeet. It will help with the swing and motion along with your target acquisition. Sometimes we all get a little antzy trying to go to the second target too quickly.

ss

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

SS,

Why would you wait for the bird to get over the barrel to pull the trigger? Pull the trigger when you see the bird come out of the house. That way you don't have to move the gun to chase the bird. HMB

14. romie

romie Active Member

Blade

I think you are right about swinging off the cheek. I have to lock on to the the gun for the second bird or I definately pull off.But I can't grip it with my right trigger hand tight.
    MOnty

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Hope I'm wrong-but I just checked my doubles gun with a laser sight. It appears there is 1 1/2 " difference between the bottom barrel & the top barrel @ 13 yds. The bottom barrels is 51/2" high & the top barrel is 4" high. Any one have an idea how to get both barrels to shoot @ the same POI. My SBT is shooting 6" high @ 13 yds--What percentage does that translate @ 30 yds,

Thanx

Phil Berkowitz

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why do you want both barrels to have the same POI? The first target is a fast rising bird, the second target is flat or dropping for most shooters. Different targets, different POIs. HMB

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Phil,

What kind of doubles gun is it? Is there any way to adjust the POI with a different hanger or bridge height? (bridge=mid barrel spacer, Kolar)

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Its a 682 Gold E

Phil Berkowitz

19. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

My last doubles was "from Hunger",,,329/500,,,I went from a "B" shooter to a "D",,,,I felt like a country boy that went to town to show the folks a thing or two, and came home with my tail between my legs. Very Humbling. Still like the game tho.

Norman

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

hmb,

My gun shoots high enough that I don't have to "chase the target". When it appears just above the barrel, I pull the trigger and the target turns into a puffball.

Most shooters get to the second target while it is still rising fast (I do even with a slide gun). It is criticle to have both barrels shooting the same POI.

Phil,

Does your laser fit precisely in the end of the barrel with no chance of being cocked? It won't take much imperfection in the fit for it to show the type of readings you are seeing. If they are chamber mounted lazers, they won't take into accout the bow of the barrel(s).

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.