1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loud Spectators

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Clay Addict, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

This weekend I was at a shoot where the shooters that had finished the days events were sitting close to the field and their ruckus was very distracting to the last squad shooting. I supose the shooters could stop and stare at them until they realize that the shoot offs are going to be delayed or they could ask the scorer for assistance. I have noticed this happening more and more over the past few years.

What would be the preferred method to get them to respect the fact that others are still shooting and their actions are disrupting the shoot?

Your advice is welcome.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Well, turning around and firing one over their heads should send them to their cars pretty quick.

Seriously, we are all probably guilty of being a little loud from time to time. Particularly when a squad finishes its last trap, they tend to talk a bit while the next squad is starting to shoot.

There is a fine line between having rabbit ears and talking being a legitimate distraction.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

When it becomes your turn to shoot politely stand and wait and with an unloaded gun turn and look at the scorer. If the scorer has to ask you what is wrong tell him/her what the problem is and let her/him turn and ask those speaking to be a little more considerate to those who are still shooting.

or ...

Turn and scream at them to SHUT THE "F" UP cause your trying to concentrate on your shooting.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I felt I was indoctrinated to trapshooting back in '91. The late shooter and writer, Art Blatt, threw an empty shell at me when I was at the backfence talking with some friends. He was shooting his handicap event. This at the Palmdale Fin and Feather Club. Art was known for being "driven to distraction" by peripheral noise..Anbody else in the "Art Blatt Club of Being a Target for an Empty Shell?"...old memories...

I once politely asked some "old coots" to hold down their banter when I was shooting. One said that he would "have kicked my butt" for making that request if he were younger..."shows to go 'ya"...I think being polite in all cases is the best way; if somebody feels that they have lost face, often almost all, if not all, rationality goes out the door..

5. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Wear ear plugs and/or muffs and you won't hear much.

I think some people would bitch about all those shotguns going off around them while they're trying to concentrate. LOL

6. bocephus

bocephus Member

Some of us use the electronic muffs that block the gunshots but allow voices to be heard.

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I like the shell toss concept! Been tempted to toss more than that. Shooting with Joe Ljutic one time at the grand there was a lady with a yapping dog ... Joe managed to put his gun in the rack and go an say something to the lady and dog... they left. Not sure what he said but it worked!

If you get to a shootoff you might as well steel yourself for the worst ... the crowd always makes noise. Deal with it.

Hope to see all of you with me in the shootoffs.

Bob Schultz

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, Bob, you have already agreed to flip when we are tied so we will not have to shoot off. Others talking are a problem in shoot offs or when shooting from the 27 yard line.

Sometimes a glance at the offenders will take care of the problem. At other times, it becomes necessary to block out the distraction as best you can. Also, I would favor an ATA rule that would prohibit auto alarms in cars parked near the 27 yard line. I find it difficult to block out that sound.

Pat Ireland

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ahhh, Pat, auto alarms are for celebrating 100 straights!!!.... lol

Jim

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

How many of you shot at Vandalia from the 27 on the old traps were the piping fence was in between you and the side walk. Remember, in front of the old main entry building and down to the first restrooms. The pullers were lucky to give good pulls with some of the loud mouths. I complained to 2 guys that were 5 foot behind me and they told me "you shouldn't be bothered your on the 27"

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Back during the Pinehurst days I would move the gun rack, trash container and water cooler back when we shot handicap. That was pre electronic voice calls and the shooters could get a little loud.

I used to draw and pin a sign on my scorers chair that said "QUIET PLEASE".

Seems like that would be a good way to advertise and get the message across at the same time!

FRedmon

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You guys get spectators?

We get hecklers.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mr. Schultz and Mr. Ireland respectfully all distractions are things that shooters must learn to deal with. Even though the subject matter here is respect for your fellow shooters the one that are trying to get the most out of the target they purchased.

BYW way Pat wouldn't the rule for disrupting the harmony of the shoot apply to both the loud shooters behind the 27. Also the shooter that parked close to the trap fields and then set the alarm on their vehicle????????

Bob Lawless

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I personally like the STFU methodology - not too much wiggle room for any misunderstanding! (lol)

Jay

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Loud noise from behind and excessive loud noise from ajacent traps bothers me. This occures when the adrenalin is flowing and I'm consentrating to break a good score. Post-2

16. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

So, I guess I should not anticipate that a bunch of experienced shooters can be polite? Most shooters want to do their best and most of those not shooting do not want to cause a problem. It should not mater when you are shooting...first or last...but it seems that once we are done we need to work harder at not bothering those that are still shooting. Some shooters are not deaf yet and they can hear through plug or muffs and some can hear well through both. I am deaf (particularly in my wife's voice range) and I still hear load spectators....not just the low rumble of chater but the yelling and load laughter. Idle conversation is not the issue.

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Dude ... you needs to takes a chilly pill and relax a wee bit and next time ya gots a few shooters botherin ya on line politely turn around and ask the scorer to ask them to be quite or they mights wants to head em out and move it along down the line but maybe if yer a shootin bad you can use the bothersome noise as some sort of excuse as well.

18. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Mr. Newbius,
    Thanks for your kind consideration and advice. I always relax when I am shooting. Greatest chill pill I know is a shell in the gun and a bird in the air. Thanks for the idea to use it as an excuse, I need all of them I can get. However, your assumption that it was my problem is all wrong. I noticed it as I was leaving for the day and saw the last shooters looking back several times as a few loud people were knocking down a few cold beers. I got a phone call from one of those shooters later that evening and they were very upset...guess it got worse. I told them I would ask around for advice...thanks again for yours.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Clay Addict the above post from Mr © is exactly what I meant when I said respect for your fellow shooters who are still shooting(get the most out of the target they purchased).

From what I observe from © post he feels that the respect is due the shooters that are being loud behind the line "you needs to takes a chilly pill and relax a wee bit and next time ya gots a few shooters botherin ya on line politely turn around and ask the scorer to ask them to be quite" Sorry © but the loud mouths behind the line are the ones that need the "chilly pill". The shooter on the line shouldn't have to ask the scorer to ask them to be quite.

Even though the spectators behind the line are not shooting there are still rule about disrupting the shoot and if those behind the line are shooter that have completed their event they are still subject to the rules.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.