1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loud Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Shooting a Browning Citori Sporting Clay Special Edition,28" barrels,ported.

A person has been telling me it reports louder than any other gun when on a squad.He thought I was shooting HOT loads.(18.7 grn, grn dot. 1 oz loads)

I did have 1 puller think I was shooting Hot loads in winter league,I showed him the Nitros I was shooting,that ended that.

Now,today I was shooting a Meat shoot(50 shells),decided to use factory shells again.
    In between rounds the fella at the club that is concerned with my loads,comes up to me with five shells wanting me to try,( his reloads I guess)I show him the factory shells,he says ,Oh,never mind.After I was done,I asked him how they sounded,he said,only once were they loud( when I shot walmart federals).Seems to me he fudged a little there,he wouldn't of come up with the five shells if he didn't want to prove a point in my opinion.

Now,the question,Does anyone have any idea why my gun seems so loud?I don't want to have to keep shooting factory shells because someone will think I'm shooting HOT loads otherwise.

I weigh my loads 2-3 times per box,a little anal I know,but I'd rather error on the side of caution and be safe.

Doug H.

2. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

The ported barrel can make a lot of noise difference, especially to those standing behind you.

Alan

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As long as you are breaking no rules, don't worry about it. Let people chatter. If their worried about your louder gun they ain't concentrating on their own targets. Mind games.

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

grntitan

LOL..that's why I shot the 3dram factory loads today,I figured ,2 can play that game,if they think my reloads are loud,what do they think of the 3 dram loads?

Doug H.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Try 40 grains of Blue Dot behind an ounce. They will beg you to go back to your old shells.

HM

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

A guy at our club practices with longshot reloads and even though he has a 34" bbl it sounds like a 3" magnum going off!!

7. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

The noise level is generated by the ports in the barrel..

I shot a ported Browning for near 15 years and didn't hear the generated noise behind the stock..

Now that I has a non-ported barrel I wonder why they would spoil a gun by adding ports..

In my opinion , ports doesn't add a thing to the quality of performance , just pisses others off on the line..

I offen wondered about the loss in velocity due to the bleading off of the gases before the shot ejected..

Maybe others will have differing opinions...

Robert

8. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

We had a guy (KTL Officer) at the Tennessee State Shoot our loads. It was part of his routine to play mind games with other shooters. Shoot management found out we were shooting AA127 light target loads at 1145 and just walked away.

...of course it did effect our performance and we dropped 3 targets in the next 50.

His name is available by PM.
    TNCoach

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use Red Dot powder and the noise problem will go away. HMB

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's a gun!

It's supposed to make loud noises.

Ask'em if they know how much happier their life would be if they didn't waste so much of it worrying about yours, and then tell'em to bugger off and get better ear plugs!

MK

11. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

I hate noise nazies tell them to piss off. I do it all the time cause guys whining about my ported gun being loud. They dont bitch about other ported guns makeing noise . They just cant stand that I whip them every time we shoot and figure Im cheating some how.

12. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Load some Long shot loads, then listen to the complaint dept.!!!

13. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Funny. I got told the other day that my gun was quiet. Even when I used someone roses shells. I think allot of it deals with perception and what people think is loud.
    Jimmy

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I remember that 800X was extremely loud sounding out of all barrels with light loads, I can only imagine what it sounds like out of a ported barrel?

Hap

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had that exact model as it was my very first new Browning O/U...same thing...with the shorter 28" barrels and the porting...everybody noted it sounded like a cannon ...not much you can do about it except reduced loads...but its nothing you're doing wrong or from using too heavy of loads

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Quit worrying about it.

17. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I had one for my first trap gun,loudest gun ever built,was a great annie oakley gun the guy beside you could never recover from the blast to shoot you out if you missed ;o) Jerry

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to change the velocity of your reloads. The noise is coming from it breaking the sound barrier as it decelerates upon leaving the barrel. HMB

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

Barry,

Not worried about it,except if someone starts questioning my loads.What do they do if they suspect illegal load?..Take shell apart and weigh components I would guess.If they want to go to all that trouble,fine with me,I've always run things on the lower end anyway.

Calvin,,

Thanks,looking to see you at the club come later this spring.

Doug H.

20. shadow

shadow Active Member

Play with their minds a little bit. Next time you re-load get some High Brass empties and load your standard 1oz loads in them. Manage to drop a couple "accidently" before you start shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loud guns

loud guns to shoot