1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loud Calls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mohave60, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Went to an ATA shoot this Sunday. In the squad ahead of us one of the shooters
    had a call so loud that it was setting off our trap and his. What is the
    protocal for such a situation. Even with ear plugs in it rattled other
    shooters. Lets see your responses..

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Have the shoot management speak with the shooter. If the club wants to pay for the extra targets and have the other shooter's inconvenienced, well, it's their call, so to speak. If they do not care to handle the problem, then you might as well pack up and shoot elsewhere.

Other than asking the shooter to quiet down, there's not much you can do (actually there is, but we're too nice for that).

Curt

3. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

Most programs will have something like (any body that disrupts the harmony of the shoot will be disqualified and asked to leave) they will use this if all else fails.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Was this on the 16's or handicap? There are times when shooting at yardage and the wind is blowing from the right angle callers will set off targets on the downwind side.

I'm on the 24 and there have been several times the squads next to us have set our targets off. This seems to happen more often if the upwind squad is at a longer yardage. (squads are closer together) We just timed our calls in between theirs. Just one of those things.

Bill

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The problem of "Overcalls" during the handicap shooting can be all but eliminated if the gun clubs would erect 2 sections of stockade (or similar) fencing from the 27 to 22 yd. lines. This would be a inexpensive and quick fix.

Curt

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

A simple fix MIGHT be to just angle the microphone so the opening is facing more AWAY from the offending caller. Sometimes works. Now the mental part?......

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Thank goodness we have ERAD's at our Homegrounds!!!!!!

The HOG Callers use to set the Cantebury's off on three fields!!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHgh!

FRedmon

8. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

For years the PULLER asked us to speak up and call loudly, and when we did we got our target on time, now that most clubs are using voice calls there is no need to be hog-calling.

Now it's just a matter of educating the shooter to reprogram his/her thinking that they don't need to screem to get their target on time.

Any hog-callers we've delt with usually didn't know they were so loud, and toned it down.I've just learned it's part of trapshooting, I try to put it out of my mind and just shoot my game..

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I would not let this bother you (just another distraction, you see) as this problem is fixing itself. All of us old timers, who learned before voice releases, or even ear protection, are a dying breed. Quite literally, there are less and less every year. Please have patience with us old guys, you'll get there some day and I'm sure will have some sort of irritating habit left over from the old days.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Zardy has a practical answer.

In my albeit limited four years I have never seen a "hog caller" dealt with.

I shot my first 100 registered at our State shoot with a "hog caller" on my squad. It did not bother me a bit - just shot my own game. He was the first one to come over and give me a bear hug; and a big kiss on the cheek too. The smooch was a bit shocking but did not spoil the occasion.

Don Verna

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What is so hard about just talking with the guy and explaining what is going on when he calls so loudly? That seems like the easiest most cost effective approach. You need to use a bit of tact but it beats the heck out of running to your daddy asking him to spank that bad boy.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Most know that they are doing it and don't really give a damn. They consider it your problem to handle. Try using the sponge rubber bottle or beer can jacket and sticking it in the speaker.

If all else fails take a seat and wait for the squad in front to get a field away or the squad behind to finish and let them watch you shoot your field. When they want to know what the problem is them. If shoot management has a problem tell them what the problem is.

You are entitled to get your targets just like the hog caller without someone calling your targets for you.

Some are just retarded and think you have to yell at the speaker to get the target when quite the opposite it true.

Don

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Usually turning the microphone closest to the loud caller will take care of the problem. A towel or an empty shell box over the microphone will also help. I would never let such a minor distraction spoil my fun.

Pat Ireland

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Unfortunately sometimes a minor can become a major.

Don

15. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Thanks for the feed back, Much of it usefull
    I didn't ask for the spanking of anyone, this persons call was a very loud
    scream and very disrupting. Try to concentrate as he calls when you have just
    called. Maybe he reads and will take the hint. Thanks again

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mohave60

"Try to concentrate as he calls when you have just called."

If you can't concentrate as he is calling that is your fault not his. If he is calling after you have called you don't have a reason to complain only an excuse for your lack of concentration. If his call is before yours and launching target on your field that is one thing. If you can't concentrate as he calls after you have called that is something else again.

So which is it his fault or your lack of concentration.

Bob Lawless

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

When I score I often try to time the hog caller with the squad I am pulling. I will shut off the speakers if at all possible, then right back on. Works much of the time, but not everytime.

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Some shooters are so deaf they literally cannot hear themselves. They are that loud but to themselves they are just barking out a normal call. Some are being that loud as a way of creating aggression in their shooting.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

YODA100- Do you really shoot with others who have less than excellent hearing?

Pat Ireland

20. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

A shooter on my team calls very loud. People always ask why. He said when he was younger no one could hear him so he was told by his father to yell. He hasn't changed it since. I doesn't bother me or my other teammates. I actually chuckle everytime I hear him. Kinda breaks the ice a little. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.