1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOTS OF STOCK FITTING QUESTIONS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    When I first started trap shooting I took a standard Remington 870 trap stock of 14 3/8" lop. Over the years with gaining weight my lop has gotten shorter. I have virtually no neck, I am 5'8", 56 inch chest, My shirt size is 22/36. I have extremely small hands for a man, and long arms, as I have trouble reaching the trigger when using a standard Remington 870 pistol grip stock.

On all my stocks i use velcro on the pistol grip so I can get closer to the trigger. I have built the velcro up 1 1/16 inch closer to the trigger, and this allows me to pull the trigger with the first joint line on my trigger finger.

When having a custom stock made, What is the measurement called, the distance from the pistol grip to the trigger? Is this a major consideration for shooters when having a special stock made?

I recently tried all different lengths of trap stocks. I am presently using a 13 1/2 lop. I wanted to see just how close I could get to my thumb when mounting a stock. So I took my recoil pad off and mounted the stock, and low and behold the stock fit me like a glove at 12 inches long. I have a good inch before my nose hits my thumb.

From what I have written does it sound like I need a stock fitter to make me a new stock that fits? I have never heard any adult male using a 12" trap stock?
    I have always read that you want to get as close as you can to your thumb without hitting your nose on your thumb, but 12 inches, seems ridiculous to me?

What are your thoughts? Any one else take a short stock lop?
    Steve Balistreri

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Don't worry about dimensions. How does the gun shoot?

I bought s product called Rat Grip to do some experimenting with. It does not harm the stock and can be removed. Do a search and see my range report. It will address your grip issue.

A custom stock without doing a lot of testing and tweaking costs most people a lot of money. It hurts to admit they have spent thousands on something that is better but still not right.

You are lucky you can buy a stock for an 870 relatively inexpensively and hack away at it. Most "stock fitters" don't have a clue. I have wasted over $1500 getting stocks tweaked until I found two guys at the club who know something and have helped me a great deal. One is Norris Chadwell - Carl's dad.

You have been around for a while so you likely know someone locally who can work with you.

Good luck

Don Verna

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Don:
    That rat grip has some good potential.
    Steve

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have seen the rat grip in person.

Don let me check out his trap gun and shoulder it. It is form fitted, meaning that when I held it and gripped it, that it did not change his grip. It holds the shape he molded into it.

I might be wrong but he will be able to remold it in the future if need be.

The best thing is that he can take it off and still have his original stock if he decides to.

I think it is a good product.

5. sjlga

sjlga Member

Where is Rollin....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.