1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of offset

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

lots of offset Anyone else have this problem?

2. smsnyder

I even had to make another 1/8 inch expansion in peg channel to get more offset. Had to do this so my eyes can line up beads.

3. smsnyder

4. smsnyder

Nope does not bite. When i shoot i cannot put alot of pressure on cheek area. I just touch the wood with my cheek and shoot. I am centering most of the targets. If i put to much presssure on cheek area i shot to left of target.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Me. Narrow eyes require plenty of offset!!

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Go to Trons site and look at my K-80.

I use more offset and needed a separate plate made up that is attached to the existing plate. Offset is about 3/4".

Gun does not hurt at all. Set up of comb is like any other. Slight angle down and right (at the front end of the comb).

When Devault saw my set up the comment was "Oh dear". No, did not get a custom stock yet as I am still "playing" with it. Two months ago I added a Rat Grip "pistol grip" with shelf, full hand support, thumb groove, and palm swell. Extremely ugly and I get a lot of unkind comments. It will take another 4-6 months to evaluate. Then, maybe, I will see if Devault wants to tackle making a "pretty" one.

Gun fit is near perfect.

Don Verna

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's not uncommon.

8. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

What about a Twisted Sister stock?

Doc

9. smsnyder

Twister Sister stock would probably work. I need a stock built like yesterday. Wonder who can do it?

10. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

Earl...Maybe it's because your head isn't sittin' smack in the middle of your shoulders....IMHO..

Your friend,
    Crazy Chester

11. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

I guess I'm narrow also, I shoot lefty but usually have to notch the comb hardware also. Even bought a rel LH gun this last time and have been considering bending the stock a touch more. Jim

12. smsnyder

Think this cound be the problem?

13. smsnyder

14. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

hello smsnyder,

youre not alone. my guns fit almost no one else because of the off-set. I have more than a couple times now, used Dennis DeVault. The most recent was a Cole gun. DeVault and crew do great work, as with almost all great work comes a price, TIME.

DeVault would be my personal first choice, hands down. If I were in a pinch, about the only direction anyone can move is with a PFS stock. These stocks look real funny, but they will last a lifetime, low/if any maintenance, and tons of adjustment.

Just my 2-cents,

Matt Nicol

15. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

A picture is worth a thousand words. I believe this actual photo of Earl will claify his need for extreme offset on his stock.

[​IMG]

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

O.K. a little confusion here. You said you need offset, to keep from lining the gun up to the left, which is correct, but then you said that you shoot to the left if you press your cheek too hard on the stock. That should make the gun shoot to the right -not the left. Barely touching your cheek to the comb would align the gun more to the left. It's possible that pressing hard on the stock is pushing the gun to the left when you shoot. The problem may be more technique than alignment.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Matt,

I had a PFS and it did not have enough cast-off adjustment even with the Ultimate Comb. For someone who needs 3/4" or so, it will not work. At least I could not get it to.

Don Verna

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

how did anyone ever break a target before adjustable combs?

19. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    The way we have had to handle this in extreme cases is for the shooter to have a custom stock made by a good stockmaker with a great deal of offset built into the comb. Here I mean offset, not rollover, and not cast, but offset, where the whole stock jogs over behind the pistol grip. When this is done, the stockbolt has to be rigged so it is accessed through the pistol grip cap, otherwise in many cases the stockbolt would literally be on the outside of the stock. Contact me if you need a reference to someone who can do this little stockbolt trick. Also, if you do use an adjustable comb with a great deal of offset, like pictured above, I would suggest having a bevel put on the side of the stock, next to the face, to get rid of that edge. It seems like it would be more comfortable. Feel free to contact me if I can direct you anywhere. (760) 788-8888 Good luck, Mike

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe there are still a few stock benders around. IR lamp, hot oil, steam jet, many ways to do it. It was more popular before all the hardware came along.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.