1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lotify fire dept?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djpk69, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I've oft wondered if it's a law to lotify the fire dept. about powder/primers/shells.I have around 24lbs of powder,3000 primers,and 2500 shells in my garage (which I heat with a wood burner).Is it a law or common sense to let them know,in case of a FIRE....don't go in????

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

No, it is not a law. Fire codes are usually adopted by the local authority having jurisdiction (fire department). FD's are very cautious about garages because of the chemicals, paints and pesticides stored there. BTW, I believe that the maximum that you are supposed to have without special storage, like a wooden box, is 25 pounds. They probably do not keep records of what each home stores in the garage, so if you did tell them, how would the information get to the fire fighters? My advice, keep quiet and store your reloading supplies properly.

Mike

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

There is every chance that the Fire Dept. would let a house or storage shed burn if they knew there were reloading components inside.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

How would a Fire Dept. react to a burning shed that has a lawn mower and 5 gallons of gasoline in it? Gunpowder will burn rapidly in one small area. Gasoline will explode.

I wounder if a fire fighter would rather go into a burning room that has 16 pounds of Green Dot or a burning room that had Styrofoam insulation?

Pat Ireland

5. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

I believe that I learned in one of my fire suppression schools that a gallon of gas in a closed container is the explosive equivilent of 7 sticks of dynamite.

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

As A Firefighter for over 20 yrs,,,,styrofoam is a killer,,,,coast me a good frien at a basement fire,,,,foam food containers at a samwich shop,,,,gasoline LIQUID will burn,,,,Gasoline vapor WILL EXPLOADE,,,,BLIVE , is what you dont want,,,,boiling liquid , vapor explosion,,,,,,,,never let the liquid boil,,,,let it burn,,,a butane lighter will totaal a car ,,,and a small propane tank 1 lb will wreck a semi,,,a 20 pounder will take down a house ,, and a 100 pounder will make a real mess,all in the right situation ,,,If you like I can send you my Fire DEpt web site,,,,we have had more than a few propane incedents,,,,I have sat with a 2 1/2 hose line cooling 2 , 100 pound tanks that had vented ,,,,with a garage burning around them,,,,,the trick is to keep the tanks cool and not put out the propane that is venting and burning off,,,,and did I mention moving away the delivery truck that was hooked up when the leak caught fire,,,had to check shorts after that one,,,,

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Reminds me of years ago, a high school friend of mine was hunting along a ditch. Well the farmer that farmed the ground was on a tractor watching the weeds burn. My friend closed up an empty paper shell he had in his pocket and got the farmer to talking about what might happen if he threw a live shell in the fire. The farmer said you better not. Well my friend threw the empty in the fire and the farmer put the tractor in gear and took off. My friend popped off a round into the air as he drove off. The farmer really picked up speed then. My friend caught hell from his parents when he got home but then his Dad who knew better got to laughing so hard he about messed himself. Bill

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

682LINY- You do know what will burn, explode and give off dangerous fumes. But when you go into a building that is on fire, how do you know what is in it?

Pat Ireland

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Its called pre plan,,,,all comerical buildings in our area of respocabilty are inspected,,,all hazereds are noted,,,,dont help at the underground meth labs and such,,,,,but rule of thumb is ,,,at a resadential house fire ,,,if its not burning normal,,,figure realy bad things are inside,,,,,and if it is burning normal,,,,just bad things are inside

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Pat, not to answer for 682LINY, but as a 10+ yr. volunteer (fire/EMT) you don't know exactly what is in an involved structure unless it is pre-scouted (inspected) commercial and not always for sure then. Garages or typical places for storage of flammables you always assume there's something bad in there.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Dk,
    IF you have ever called 911, your home/house number is in the system with all particulars of that call. Tell the FD Marshall whats in your home and he will put this info in their system. Now everyone in the EMERGENCY RESPONSE mode to your address knows that you have firearms, powder, primers etc. NOW who is watching the access to this info? Big brother is watching you! I choose not to tell the "authorities" since I had a friend whose home was "attacked" by the "City Swat Team" The next time the police responded to trouble at his address, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE! Because he had previously reported a stolen gun!
    Think carefully before you tell the authorities ANYTHING. Take good care of your guns and equipment and keep MSDS sheets next to your powder. Review the local FD regulations for your TOWN. It varies from town to town! And very few FD people, and especially SWAT teams know the difference between modern smokeless powder and Black Powder. Most major cities do not allow storage of Black powder in a residence! You can be ticketed/charged for this!
    In our rural neighborhood, just ask the teenagers who has guns, fast cars,alarm systems etc. You will be astounded! Be informed before trouble starts!.......Sincerely JBB

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I'm not sure I agree....I have a residential 2 story garage heated with a wood burner. At least 2500 shotshels and 25lbs powder.Are you saying to let it go...if a fire broke out the shells/powder would not be a issue?? As Shooting Coach said " I'de let it burn".I'm not that worried about the powder as I am the shells.At what temp do 2500 shells go off?

13. 6913F

6913F TS Member

As being on my local, small town volunteer fire department, every firefighter is trained to expect the unexpected. As previously mentioned - garages, basements,and sheds- are the most common places for explosives. In small towns, it is not common for firefighters to "have some insight" on whose house might have large amounts of powder & live ammo. In past experience, during a structure fire, someone is at the fire and notifies the dept. of hazards. Fire depts. are trained to ask questions during a fire for their own safety. In my opinion, yes, you should notify someone on the local dept. notify someone you can trust.

Larry Sample, Agency IA Fire & Rescue

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have a couple videos done by SAAMI showing what happens with gunpowder and ammunition in a fire.

Nothing explodes, as noted above, if its not in the chamber of a gun.

Primers "pop" and eject from the cartridge, but they're light and as long as the firefighter is wearing normal protective gear and eye protection, they aren't a problem.

There was a high speed video of what happens to a cartridge if the cartridge is fired unconfined, outside the barrel. Basically, all the contents blow out the side of the cartridge, both for shotshells and metallic cartridges.

There's a guy in the KC area doing an updated video for SAAMI right now.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, did you mean notify?

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Several years ago the NRA magazine had an article about ammo and fires. No big deal it just goes poof and burns. Get over it!! Duh!! Why do you think powder comes in plastic jugs these days and years ago in cardborad containers? It is so it just burns and does not build up a lot of pressure!! Black powder comes in small containers for the same reason. A friend of mine years ago would make 'firecrackers' for his stepsons with black powder or Pyrodex. Well the dumb a--es tried to make some firecrackers on their own using some of his rifle powder. Well they about burned the side of the house off. It just flashed. They rolled it up real tight in newspaper strips and touched it off on the back porch. Big woof and just flames. Luckily they had enough sense to grab the garden hose. Like an earlier post mentioned a couple of gallons of gas is more dangerous. Bill

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

trappermike you said "No, it is not a law." I say that it is in some states.

Bob Lawless

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can state with certainty that if a 22 cal bullet goes off inside a 55 gal metal drum that is being used to burn trash at a gun club, a dime sized protrusion can result in the side of the can. I can extend this observation to conclude that if one went off within 1 foot of my body and the case hit me, it could cause a slight bruise and make me say a word or two that I know but very rarely use.

Pat Ireland

19. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

LOL....what was I thinking "Lotify" ?????? This site needs spell check. Must have been slurring my words that night. Will call the fire dept.(N W Ohio) and check just to "ease my mind" and report back...i.e "Lotify you"

20. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I hope that by you notifying them, they don't act like you are a terrorist organization OR make you get all kinds of permits and inspections or something. I would say NOTHING!!!! And store things as well as you can. Don't ask for trouble!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.