1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOST weight, missing targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Need some advice.
    I've lost around 25 pounds in the last three months. I started shooting
    ATA again over the last three weeks. Gun seems to fit the same (maybe)
    lines up but misses the target. I'm not aiming and I'm keeping my head on the
    wood. The bird I'm missing the most is straight aways.
    I will try the pattern board this week.
    What do you think could be the problem?

Thx Bill

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pattern board is the right answer Bill.

3. maka

maka Member

Been there! When I lost weight about the same as you, my face became thinner. I raised my comb to compensate for thinner cheeks. Worked for me. Good luck.

4. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Are you dieting still? Some diets affect eyes, others affect coordination and strength.

Chip Porter

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

lay off affects eye and hand coordination as well, strength could also be affected. ditto off chip

6. magic

magic Member

Ive lost 240 lbs in the last year. Yes 240! I'm shooting terrible. I have the gun patterning right. For me it is about muscle memory. I'm shooting in a new body and swing past everything. But it's getting better. And I feel better BTW. For me it has been back to basics.

Jason Sheehy

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Frank Hoppe did a nice article about it in his column in T&F ~ a year ago. It's worth your time to look it up for a re-read.

best....mike

8. Bill Roberts

Thx guys
    I feel good, eyes good. I'm seeing the target well, I feel like I'm right on
    the bird but it keeps flying. I did chip a few off the side of the target.

I'll try to find the article in T&F. Thx

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get on post 3 with the machine locked on straight aways. Shoot at the left edge of the bird and then at the right edge of the bird. The results should tell you what the problem is. HMB

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Some people lose weight in certain spots. My face is the first to start thinning out when I lose weight. If I don't raise my comb my eyes are a little down behind the action and I peek. On the pattern board it looks good but on a target from number three,as HMB recommended, not so good. Phil Kiner(great instructor) helped me find the reason. It's really subtle and it can be as little as the pressure on your cheek.

Good luck,

Ajax

11. Bill Roberts

Mike, I can't find that article by Hoppe?????

12. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

You may want to have someone video tape you. I lost 150 lbs in the last year and in all reality I am almost back to square one as a shooter. I've only been shooting for three years. Took two years to get okay as a shooter, but at the beginning of this year I have been all over the place score wise.

Having someone video you could show you if your stance is different. With the weight I couldn't lean forward as far so I was shooting more upright. Now I can lean forward more and my back doesn't hurt me any more.

The biggest problem that I have been having is in my face. Now that there is not any padding in my cheeks I was getting smacked pretty hard. I had started by lowering the comb only in the front, but that ended up being the WRONG move. Less fat, higher comb to compensate.

Any weight loss is going to change your mechanics. Magic has it right. You have to go back to basics and relearn how your body is working. Congrats on the weight and good luck.

13. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

You may want to have someone video tape you. I lost 150 lbs in the last year and in all reality I am almost back to square one as a shooter. I've only been shooting for three years. Took two years to get okay as a shooter, but at the beginning of this year I have been all over the place score wise.

Having someone video you could show you if your stance is different. With the weight I couldn't lean forward as far so I was shooting more upright. Now I can lean forward more and my back doesn't hurt me any more.

The biggest problem that I have been having is in my face. Now that there is not any padding in my cheeks I was getting smacked pretty hard. I had started by lowering the comb only in the front, but that ended up being the WRONG move. Less fat, higher comb to compensate.

Any weight loss is going to change your mechanics. Magic has it right. You have to go back to basics and relearn how your body is working. Congrats on the weight and good luck.

14. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

15. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

Any weight loss is going to change your mechanics. Magic has it right. You have to go back to basics and relearn how your body is working. Congrats on the weight and good luck. - Mike

16. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

Any weight loss is going to change your mechanics. Magic has it right. You have to go back to basics and relearn how your body is working. Congrats on the weight and good luck. - Mike

17. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not only move the comb up but sideways toward your face. Congrats on losing the weight. You're my hero.

19. Bill Roberts

I had to, still loosing made a change in my eating habits.

So to start I should move the comb up???

Thx Bill

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have heard that stock pitch should change when you lose weight. Something else to consider and BTW congrats on your new lifestyle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.