1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Target After Failure To Throw a Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT-100dc, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

After scoring trap targets for over 30 years, I found that over 50% of the targets are LOST when the following occurs: (1) The shooter calls for the target and the target fails to be appear or a broken target; and (2) The shooter keeps the gun mounted and calls for the target again without starting his/her routine over. I've seen this happen to all levels of shooters. Do any other scorers notice this? BT-100dc

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

You bet.

The shooter yells: PULL< ... >PULL<...>PULL> BANG<>LOST.....

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Slighty off topic but how many have seen the lost target copycat bug? That's where one shooter will miss a target and then the next 3 or 4 shooters miss also? What a strange game we play.

Eric

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

IMO the scorer has a responsibility to call "no target" after each call. It forces the shooter to reset.

That's the way they do it in international - one call per bird - ref calls no bird and shooter resets.

It works MUCH better than the way I see it done in ATA where a shooter will keep the gun mounted and repeat their call over and over.

It requires discipline to reset but it usually leads to better scores.

5. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

One of the best pieces of advice that I learned in a shooting clinic was "One and only one call for each gun mount". My referee experience has proven that many shooters don't reset for a new call. Especially many who shoot release triggers. More often than not, a miss will occur after a no target, when the shooter does not reset for their shot.

NSXER is right on with the sympathy misses. Especially on windy days when shooters are watching their squadmates misses and then anticipate similar target calisthenics when they call for their own.

Another cause of misses for some shooters is when trap help wanders out to an adjacent trap to reload or service a machine. I believe that most shooters find a human in front of their gun to be an incredible distraction...and rightfully so! It is much easier to deal with a squad interruption than to deal with movement in your peripheral field of vision, even if it is from an adjacent trap. It is very easy to be distracted by internal or external influences in this game. This is one of the things that seperates the great ones from most of us. Their is something enhanced in their level of consciousness and concentration to prevent them from being distracted.

Play Dead

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Re sympathy misses....always.....ALWAYS wait some period of time to break the string of misses. I shoot in a league and whenever there are some consecutive misses before me I ALWAYS wait a few beats, maybe 5-10seconds, then start over....

AND......what Playdead said above, one mount, one shot

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sorta like the old saying: "The anticipation is always greater then the realization"

Curt

8. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I missed 4 of the first 11 targets yesterday, it was windy and I was watching the four other shooters birds and trying to figure where my bird would fly. Most rights were high and lefts were flat. I ran the last 14 birds. I looked at the ground while the others were shooting and concentrated on "my" bird.

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I won't shoot when I'm about to break out in laughter due to my predecessors are whiff(ing) targets especially when it's windy; definitely don't call for the bird when someone is wafting gas. I try to concentrate on the next target and ignore what the others are doing. Don't let losses become infectious. BT-100dc

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A sporting clays coach, Chris Batha or one of those guys, says we have a 4 second focus clock. Anytime we get a "no bird" we should un-mount and re-mount to re-start our focus clock.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- Your comment "The anticipation is always greater then the realization" reminded me of my long ago high school days, but I will not go into any details on this site.

Curt

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Awww, come on Pat, spice it up on here, its been a little boring on here lately.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pat, et. al.,

My comment covers a gambit of scenerios.....throughout our lives..

Curt

14. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

One of the un-named functions of a <i>good</i> squad leader is to break the string of sympathy misses....

Also, I have seldom seen someone I know to be on the list of "good shooters" fail to reset their gun hold and mount if a bird that is called for does not appear.

It seems that they ALWAYS reset their hold, and start their routine all over again.

They seldom miss the next bird when doing this. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that is why they are on the list of "good shooters" to begin with.

That is MY observation, anyway.

John

15. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

When I am doing a clinic and filming the one on one with each shooter I turn the voice release off and see if they move the gun. Invariably one (or more) will not dismount and then miss(or barely chip) the next target. At that point I tell everyone that regardless of the reason when you get a no target bring the gun down and start your preshot routine over.

Great observation BT-100dc.. PK

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's all in your head

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.