1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost our Luke Tonight

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by puablo, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

We lost our Lukeie tonight...we had to have the vet come tonight and put our beloved pup to sleep. He was just about 15 1/2 years old. He and his brother Lexie (who we lost about a year ago) were the best 2 dogs you could ever ask for.

They got along great, were total house/family dogs, got along with all the young kids in the family for years and were totally devoted to us. They have been a great blessing to us and been great companions. Yesterday, Luke got sick, and we had a feeling this might be the time. Today he was hardly moving, but he did sure eat his dinner as we fed him chicken by hand.

Sure is a hard thing to do, one of the hardest I've ever done, and it's going to be a rough going for awhile.
    Here's a pic of the two brothers together...Luke is the younger looking one.

The wife doesn't want another dog for quite awhile if at all again, too much to take when they part from you. But time will see. Jeff Philipbar/puablo

2. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Jeff,

You've probably seen this before, but it always seems to help whoever reads it. It gets to me every time.

Dave

The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
    It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills, and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water, and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge, never again to be separated.

3. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Jeff I am very sorry of you're loss and hope the best for you and you're wife, I once was in a situation where I had to foster two of my wonderful Golden retrievers out because of where we had to move to and it took me a long time to get over it .

You will have double the memories because you had to boys together and I will pray for them and you and you're wife now their together running and playing together once again. God Bless Pat.k.

4. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I type this as my wiemmy watches.........yes,I completely understand.

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Dave,

Thanks for posting that...I was thinking of that before, but I couldn't remember it. When Luke's brother died, I read that poem to my 4th grade class, and everybody was crying before I could get to the end of it. It's very touching.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff, I'm sending you and family the best of best wishes, healing and hope for the future. When I have to say goodbye to a friend, I hold them real tight and ask God to re-unite us again, but next time for eternity. I know He'll answer your prayer!

milt

7. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Puablo,

Very sorry for your loss. I've had to put down two of my dogs, and it's brutal. As for not getting another, I would only suggest that 15+ years of love and companionship is not a bad trade off for a few months of sadness.

Best Wishes.

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'm truly sorry for your loss.........time will heal your pain,and you'll be left with wonderful memories........I know........its never easy.

God Bless

D.P.Reynolds

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Your loss is understood by many many many of us here on T.S. We went through that a few years ago with our "little man" we just didn't know what to do (cried a lot) and said no more, just to painful to lose them. Then when our daughter found out she called and told us we couldn't be without company, two weeks later a new puppy was on our doorstep, It was rough at first but turned out to be the best thing (for us) our "new little man" has not replaced, but filled a big void. Hang in there, you can never replace them but you will love the next one just the same. You will know when the time is right. Ross Puls

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I can share your pain as it has traveled with me on my lifes journey.

My wife didn't want any others until she couldn't stand not hearing the sound of dog feet on the hardwood floors.

Jim

11. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Old Indian belief is that animals (pets) attach themselves to your soul and are with you until you die and together you rise to the heavens.

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

When a Laborador dies, he takes with him part of your heart; and you are a better person for the experience.

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Been there and done that many times. It never gets easier. Take a moment to recall the great times together and think seriously about replacing your old friend with a new rescued friend. RIP Luke.

Eric

14. hoot619

hoot619 Member

That's the part of having a pet that we all have to go through at one time

or another. It never is easy. At least we have the memories of them in better

times. My thoughts are with you all, I know it isn't easy we will always miss

them. I love the "Rainbow Bridge" it has brought a lot of comfort in times past.

Ken U

15. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

This has given us comfort ourselves when we have needed it the last two years, hope it helps you also. Dave

A Dog's Prayer
    Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

16. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

For some reason our pets seem to understand life and companionship much better the we. I've been there a few times over my life. I have never been dissappointed by my pets. Although looking back I probably disappointed them a few time and for that I am truly sorry. I have two more to go through yet. One is very old and stone blind, hardly can hear, is diabetic, takes two shots aday and has a very special diet. But thats the way it is. If I got anymore then they would probably out live me and I couldn't stand the thought of someone not taking care of them the way I would.
    I can tell by the way you expressed your loss that they were very luck to have a master like you who appreciated the frendship. Wild Bill

17. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Those pesky pups that chew up your shoes, are always looking to you for a handout, decide they have to go for a walk when it is 10 degrees below Zero with a 40 MPH wind, decide that your prize couch makes a perfect dog bed and leave their fur all over the house somehow seem to find a way to make all of their antics not only tolerable but something you look forward to. They can do the dumbest things and apologize to you with just a sad look and nudging you knee with their head and putting their paw up for you to hold.

And then before you know it, they are your absolute best friend and ever loving companion. They can wipe the frustration of a lousy day at work away just by getting their favorite ball and dropping it in your lap with the hopes that you will throw it so they can bring it back again.

On those days when you are sick they will lay on the floor next to you just to keep you company. When they think danger is coming to you they throw themselves in front of you to protect you.

You only have to grab their leash and they start jumping for joy in anticipation of spending some quality time with you, even if it is just a quick walk around the yard or to go for a ride in the car.

Then some kids come over and that old dog finds all the energy of a puppy and plays with those kids like they are the best thing ever to come into your house.

Then comes that sad, sad day when you know that your best friend has to leave you. When you see them in pain that can not be relieved and you know it is time to say good-bye, at least for a while. But then you know that you will be reunited sometime when you both meet at that Rainbow Bridge. The sadness will pass but the good memories will stay with you forever.

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'm sorry Puablo. How well I know that hollow pain. Doug

19. Mapper

Mapper Member

My deepest sympathy. It's really tough when ones furry friend passes.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Makes me think of my sweet Luke. Lab-a-natures Luka Brasi was 11 last month and is the best dog that I have ever owned. if you are not religious, like myself please remember: when he goes he is in heaven because all of his needs are met forever. Never again will he be cold, hungry, sad or in pain. I don't know what happens when we die [and you don't either] but if there is an afterlife, I sure hope that he is there with me. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.