1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost or Dead

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by onebubba, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onebubba

onebubba TS Member

I was at a shoot this past weekend and a shooter on my squad flinched steped off the station, steped back on the station, shot and broke the target three feet off the ground. The ground in front of this trap drops off from the trap house and ground where the target landed is at least 20 feet below the trap. The scorer call the target lost because it was out of bounds -- "if the ground was level with the other traps, the target would have hit the ground before the shooter broke the target" IS TARGET DEAD OR LOST??

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Dead target. If its in the air and between the posts its fair game.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would call that a dead target. Out of bounds, as far as I know, doesn't exist. As long as the shooter was standing behind the asigned yardage line when he pulled the trigger, it was a legal break!

ec90t

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Dead target

John C. Saubak

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

There is nothing in the ATA rule book concerning out of bounds......a target is dead when it is broken in the air (Sec VIIB).

the center stake and radius stakes are used strictly for determining proper angles when setting or adjusting the trap (Sec XIIIE) refers to an illegal target as one being significantly outside normal parameters (more than 10 degrees outside normal).

the target should have been scored dead.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Dead 4 sure....just out of curiosity ...what effect on the outcome have had for this shooter...more/less money..a lost/gained win or class trophy?

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Does that scorer think you guys were shooting skeet. There is no out of bounds in trap that I am aware of.

Hauxfan!

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

If he got his feet back into the proper shooting position before firing the gun, I'd say "Dead Target"

Danny

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Dead target, It doesn't matter where it lands but where it leaves the trap. A target can land "out of bounds" because of winds but as long as it came out of the trap in a legal manner it matters not where the shooter breaks the target (as long as the shooter was on his post).

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

A target can be "out of bounds" if it is too wide, way too low or way too high. These targets can be shot over if the shooter does not shoot at them. If the targets are shot, the score is recorded.

If the scorers interpretation of "out of bounds" would be accepted in this case, a shooter could then call for a target and not shoot, claiming that the target was illegal.

This Sunday I will shoot at a club where the targets hit the ground about 80 feet below the level of post three. If a scorer becomes confused like the one onebubban described, I will have a polite chat with him.

Pat Ireland

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If the shooter called for a target then flinched, did his/her dance then shot and broke the target it is a dead target. If the target was not called for and the shooter did his thing it is still a dead target.

Post-2

12. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

Sounds more like Tourette's than a flinch.......

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Tourette's?

It was St Paddy's Day so I'm going with an Irish Jig.

Whoever the guy is I never want to meet him in an annie oakley or a custer, he sounds like a deadly shot. 3 ft off the ground! he deserved a dead target just for getting the shot off.

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

SIMPLE!!!!! He shot at it..........He bought it.........He broke it>>>>>>>>

DEAD TARGET!!!!!!!!!! NO matter where it was............

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.