1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost New K-80

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rico65, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico65

Rico65 TS Member

Lost on United Flight Feb 4 2007 at Phoenix Skyharbor Airport..New K-80
    Trap Combo, Schilling Schroll, Nitride Finish,Upgraded Wood, Double Release,
    Titanium Chokes...Please all be on the lookout. Thanks, Ray Alvarez

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

what did airlines do about it?

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

This is why I will not fly with my high grade K-guns. Insurance and such will eventually replace the lost arm, but it is not worth the grief. This year, I am going to Florida, Virginia, Louisiana, and Colorado for training. I will fly to Colorado WITHOUT a firearm, but the other places I will drive, from Middle Tennessee.

I sincerely hope your gun is found or replaced.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ray, I too hope you get your gun back! Stay after the airlines to find your gun too. Pester them to death, maybe it will turn up soon. Good luck guy! Hap

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Demand that someone check the lost and found, a friend of mine took a flight into Phx, Sky Harbor, his gun came up missing and it was in the lost and found area for 3 days before they found it and got it back to him ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Rico,I too hope all is returned,but for what it is wirth a friend of mine that travells to Africa to hunt quit abit ran into the same problem a few years ago,he was told by the outfitter[PH]to always ask that the guns he brings be put in "special handling",he says they actually carry them into the bagage hold,my friend says he usually pays around 50.00 for a double rifle case.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Sorry to hear about the thieves getting your gun Rico. I am suprised that homeland security isn't more concerned when guns come up missing during baggage handling. Hope you see it again.Jeff

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hope this gets resolved

I can relate to this

the fact that they wont allow you to lock your gun case is a contributing factor in pilferage

Gene

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Gene -

You are incorrect about not locking your gun case. In fact, it's the only kind of case that goes on the plane locked (unless you want to use the locks that allow TSA people to open them). The rules say the owner is the only person allowed to have a key.

Scott

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Scott when I have flown I had to take guns on and had to leave the case unlocked for the tsa

not sure if the procedures are same everywhere or not

Gene

11. slick50

slick50 Member

Ray, I couldn't believe it when Andy told me your gun didn't arrive in Phoenix. Sounds like something fishy is going on at the airline. How long did you have that new K-80? Was it all of 30 days?

12. EVN137

EVN137 TS Member

Anyway of putting one of those GPS tracking device in a case like that? I heard some sneakers have those GPS device to track people so they must be small. Haven't seen one yet though.
    I feel for you Ray. Hope you get it back!

13. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Gene -

When is the last time you flew a commercial airline with a firearm? The rules are not different in other place, they are the same all over. I fly 3 to 4 times a year for the past four years and it's been the same every time.

From the TSA website:

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    The firearm must be unloaded.
    The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    The container must be locked.
    We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can’t contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
    You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    You can’t use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    You can’t bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
    We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

14. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

Why couldn't a person place their cell phone in the gun case. They all have a GPS in them and couldn't it be located by the telephone co. Just a thought. We had trouble with our gun case as it was smashed by the handlers when we were flying out of the Phoenix airport. The middle lock held . We got a new case (120.00) Hullchucker.

15. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

Hey here is another thought. Get a sticker that reads : this container holds a GPS. This might slow them down. I was allowed to place 4 pad locks on my case. No trouble. Hullchucker

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How about one of those installed into the stock cavity? Wonder if that would work? Hap

17. mrpheyed

mrpheyed TS Member

Ray, So sorry to hear about this nightmare...If you post the Ser.# perhaps one of us will spot it. Good Luck, see you at VT State shoot. Tim

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

When you call the ATF advise them that the missing/stolen gun was a M-60....you'll get an immediate response.

Curt

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ray - I do hope you make another post on this thread telling us that the airline found your lost gun.

Pat Ireland

20. dennis b

dennis b Member

Any news? Dennis B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.