1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost my pal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slide action, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Our 10 year old Golden Retriever "Buddy" died last fri night while I was at work. Our daughter came home and found him. He had congestive heart failure for awhile and the medicine finally just coudn't keep him alive any more. He was my constant companion and rode with me a lot. We had him for 9 years and he was my best buddy. I know he was only a dog, but he was the best dog anybody could have. When I go to the door it will seem strange not to see him run up onto the porch. I buried him on our farm next to the swamp he loved to play in. He is better off now and won't suffer. My only rergret is I wasn't home with him, but I think the old boy died knowig I loved him. Can't help it I guess I'm just getting soft in my old age.---- So long old pal. Where ever you are I hope they have your favorite dog biscuits!

2. yenko

yenko TS Member

slide im sorry for your loss of the best friend,i lost mine 11/2 years ago while out shooting,he was the best.goldens are exactly that golden!!!keep the memories alive he will always be with you.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The best relief for you is to start hunting for a new pup to fill the void. That said,I am very sorry for your loss. Bill

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

slide action, we know your feeling well and feel for you too. I waited 7 months after my Penney had to be put to sleep with cancer to bring Gidget home. Like Bill G. says above, keep the great memories of your buddy alive but love another too. Our life is too short too to wait long and it does help a lot to be owned by another! Hap

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For all of us that have lost a "Pal"

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Condolences, Eric

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I always get a little tear each and every time I read one of these threads. Print off the rainbow bridge story. So sorry for your loss. For most of us, the loss of a pet is the same as the loss of a human friend. Lost my rottie when she was abut 11 years old. John

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I am sorry for your loss. I have lost a lot of great dogs over the years and I still miss every one! Sometimes I lie awake trying to get to sleep, thinking of the great times I had with each of them.

It is difficult to explain to people that your bird dog is so much more than a pet. He is your friend and your trusted companion. You have shared things with him that no person could lay claim to. He has seen you at your best and your worst. You know for certain that he will never criticize you, reveal your closest secrets, or leave you for better pastures. We should all be so good!

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

I foung this somewhere. It says it all.

Don

A Dog's Purpose? (from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said, ‘People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?''

The Six-year-old continued, ‘Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

9. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Slideaction: my familys thoughts and prayers are with you in this sad time. Dogs are special gifts and it seems you were blessed with one of the great ones.After having you for 9 years Buddy knew. Don

10. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I'm just so sorry, our old boy went over a year ago and the pain and lonliness still linger.Jack

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

slide, sorry to hear of the loss of your pal. Been there done that, it's never easy. Go find a new friend in honor of the one you just lost.

12. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Slideaction,

Sorry about your loss of a dear, loved one...they truly are like family.

God bless you, puablo

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I'm extremely sorry to hear about you difficult loss. Copper, my Golden Retriever, is 5-1/2 now. I really dread that day. He's my constant companion.

Let some time pass, but think about a new pup to fill some of your void. May Buddy forever rest in peace.

14. vetteman

vetteman TS Member

Lost my 12yo Shorthair a year and a half ago.Second worst day of my life.I thought I'd feel better about it with time but that hasn't turned out to be so.
    Dave

15. gwayne23

gwayne23 Member

Hey slide, sorry so much for your lost. Believe me I know how you feel. My wife and I lost our little house dog of 19 years back in March 08' We got her at the animal shelter when she was 3 months. She was with us all the time from then on!! We tried to have children for 14 years, but it was not meant to be. Most people, except for our familys just never relized she was just that, family to my wife and I. She slept right there in between us every night, and I would not have had it any other way. We miss her everyday still, and will forever!!

Gary & Kenda Adkins

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It never doesn't hurt. I'm going to celebrate new years by saying goodbye to one of mine and letting her last moments be in my arms.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hearing about the loss of a pet tears me up. Dog, cat, or any breathing critter that bonds with it's master. Now the better part. A friend in So-Cal has a early adolescent (not full grown) female chocolate lab with, I think papers. Free to a good owner and fellow shooter at this time. The dog needs a bigger place to live than in a suburban yard. She is full of energy and gets out of the yard all the time...e mail me for details if interested.

David

18. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Slide,
    Sorry for your loss. The pain of losing a canine friend never really goes away. Just remember, God couldn't be everywhere, so he created dogs (Gos spelled backwards).

19. ismah

ismah Member

Slide Action, I've never owned a dog but I know what it's like to lose a friend. It's hard. It can get you down. Just don't let it. Life's too short to dwell on things gone past. Christmas is here. Go out and buy yourself something frivolous and think of the good times.

20. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Mike are you gonna shoot saturday? If so I will save my words till then, hope to see you and the Mrs.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.