1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost My Front Bead

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dolphin77, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

First shot of my second round I noticed that my front bead was gone...shot the nest 24 and did very well, but I need to replace my bead....where do I find one? There are not any gunsmiths close by, need to order one but all the places seem to offer high viz etc, I want just a normal Bradley whit bead.....Thanks WC

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

What typ of gun---Phil

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You need to know the screw size or hole size. The type of gun may determine that.

Don

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Dolphin

In addition to the total confusion on differing thread sizes, most gun makers use diferent sizes in their own product line, depending on whether the gun is for field or range.

What brand and type of gun do you have. Also, be aware that most front beads must be fitted to index on your barrel properly. The tools for this are more expensive than a trip to a 'smith to replace the bead.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I think Brownell's sells a kit that has different sized front beads and thread sizes. I'd suggest trying to contact the manufacturer and see if they'll send you one or 2. I did that with a Remington 1100 a few years ago and they sent me 2 free of charge.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. Shooting Coach

Dear Jim

I hope I am not stepping on toes, but top coaches in the country say there IS a need for beads on a gun, simply as a referance when mounting the gun and as part of the pre shot routine. Obviously, bead checking after the bird is called for is not desirable, but is a problem with understanding the basics and fundamentals of the game.

Bead checking is a discipline problem, much like scratching your behind in mixed company.

Eliminating or covering up beads is best left for beginners, and is considered the equivilent of training wheels.

The competent bicycle rider has no need of training wheels, and the competent shooter does not need beads hidden from them.

A local trainer insists on taping beads of every shooter he is around, and invariably, scores dip. If this was the correct thing to do, scores would iimmediately go up.

I quickly shot lifetime best scores in every discipline after switching to Hi Viz front beads, like a lot of other folks. This typically destroys the theory that one does not need beads on a shotgun.

Don't scratch your behind in mixed company, and quit looking at those beads when the bird is in the air. Stop it, right now!!! LOL

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

It may be time to consider a Hi Viz replacement instead of going back to the original bead configuration. This should start a "spirited" conversation because so many prefer the Hi Viz or some other brand and others do not like them. Personally, they came on Browning XT and I like the smaller yellow/green one. Best Regards, Ed

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Why did Grank Little teach bird/bead relationship? Inquiring minds want to know. Bill

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Gee, I made it to the 27 and shot my first 100 straight without beads on my gun. I guess that typically destroys the theory that one needs beads on a shotgun.

However, when I converted to shooting with one eye, I put on a very tiny hiviz type bead I got at WalMart for $5.00 because with one eye, I can see the bead in relationship to the target. The funny part is that the threads tightened up with the bead facing backwards making it even smaller but I have been shooting so well with it I won't turn it around.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It gives the dragonflies something to perch on.....

11. Shooting Coach

What Big M said. LOL

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Are you telling me there is supposed to be a front bead on my barrel?

Ya know I dont even remember the last time I actually saw the bead way out there on the end of my barrel ... I'm gonna have to go out to the car and see if its still there ... yep, just came back in and there is one there but I dont remember seeing it since a few months after I bought the dang thing.

Dang, I bet my shooting is going to go into the crapper now cause all I'm going to be doing is checking my bead to be sure its still there.

Seriously if you want a new bead contact whomever you desire to purchase one from and all you need to do is tell them the model and brand of the gun and they should be able to get the right one for you thread and hole wise.

13. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Leave it off... you'll do just fine with out it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.