1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lost my buddy today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hawgduo, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawgduo

Hawgduo Member

My wife and I had to put down our beloved pet of 13 years today. He was a cocker spaniel that used to go to all the trap shoots with us and loved every minute. He was small for a cocker but had the heart of a giant. I remember trying to take him bird hunting and he would flush the birds and of course I would drop them and he would go to retrieve a pheasant bigger than he was it was a sight to behold. He will be missed, I loved him but always wonder if I showed him enough. Just remember old boy I will see you again. Go play with your buddies and be at peace. Love you Harley.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

My condolences to your family. I know just how you feel. I lost my pal "Smitty" back in May at 15yo. It's just not the same without him. Do a search for "Rainbow Bridge" it will help.

Eric

3. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Been there and done that more than once, I feel your pain, Replace him soon, there is another good dog out there that needs you as much as you need him.

Rick

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I can understand your grief. My wife and I went through this 2 1/2 years ago. They are a part of the family. Don't worry; your dog felt your love. A dogs life is way too short. Although I said I did not want another dog; within 6 weeks we got another one. It really helped us. In time you and your wife might want consider this. My heart goes out to you. Ed

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I FEEL for you.....our lil' guy is our BEST friend. I realize that a dog's life is 5 times faster than ours....but, I can't imagine loosing my BEST friend. Wishing YOU HAPPY MEMORIES ! Our SAM came to us 2 years ago ...I'm 58 years old. I hope SAM outlives ME ! Only a DOG will LOVE you regardless of how your DAY went !

6. Hawgduo

Hawgduo Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the nice words. I'm sitting here crying and reading them all remembering the good times and feeling empty but your words help alot.

7. laura!

laura! Member

Just about all dogs are great, but there are a few that are absolutely special. It's really hard when they go but you are lucky to have had one. I hope your next one helps ease the emptiness.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Hope this helps...Eric

9. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

It is increadably hard to deal with. You love them more than anything, except when you find them in your closet chewing on your best pair of Tony Lama"s. Even then you forgive them as they forgive you ten times a day. I have thought of my ol hunting buddy Paco every day for the last 10 years. Can't replace him, haven't even tried. Probably will wait until I am 80 to get another dog. gyrine

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. I've been through it, too.

I am going to buy a puppy in the fall. I think I want a Weimer.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If we can be just half the man our pets think we are we are doing alright ... Condolances on your loss ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I can only echo what the others have said. My golden retriever (Copper) is 5-1/2 years old now and very healthy, but I already find myself thinking about that day.

God's speed my friend. Perhaps another puppy will find his/her way into your life sometime soon.

13. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

May your memories comfort you at this time. I am sorry for your loss. Kim

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Not only is a dogs life span way too short, so is ours! Don't cut the happiness short being without the unconditional love only a dog can give you! Like all of you, I've been through this many times but I learned very early, the memories always remain, new memories can be had for a pat on the head and a small space at the end of the bed!

Harley, mend your heart with allowing another to love you too. I'm sorry to hear of your little buddy's passing, he'd want you to share too, that's the way dogs think. Hap

15. Bubba

Bubba Member

Condolences on the loss of your family member.

16. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Condolences on the loss of your buddy and companion. It is a hard thing to deal with and seems to me to get harder as time goes by. Dern those dogs anyway for not living as long as humans. Dan

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

It never easy. I'm sorry for loss. I've had to put down two(father and later son) yellow Labs. They were taken to the Vet. and were in my arms when they were put to sleep. Both my wife and I cried like a baby. Both were but to rest in my back yard in a four foot deep grave that I dug myself. Many a time I would visit the graves to talk and cry, I'm teary eyed now just thinking about it.

Do what Hap said, get another puppy soon.

Tom Strunk

18. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

My condolences. Just remember try and be the person your dog thought you were. Wish I could live up to that standard. He knew you were there for him.

19. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I am gonna chime in here again,

Good dogs are the result of good owners, it's apparant that you are a good owner as much as you cared about your dog, There IS a puppy out there waiting for a good owner to make him into the good dog that only you can raise.

IMHOP good dog owners equal good people, I dont know you, never have met you or lots of others that have responded to your thread but you all are good people in my book.

When I had to put Truk down it was the hardest thing I have ever done, He will never be replaced but I do have another good dog now his name is Dozer, weighs 176 pounds and is a great dog, totally different than Truk, but still a good dog and one of the things he has done for us is help us bear our loss.

Think hard about a new dog, it will help, Dog people should have a dog.

Rick

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Hawgduo, sorry to hear of your loss, remember all the great times and go get a puppy it will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.