1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost my Best Friend today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Husky44, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Just back from the vet, had to put down my best friend and hunting partner of 13 years. Abby was a big female Black Lab and was more of a child than a dog to the family. Hardest thing I ever had to do in my 55-years on earth and the house is very empty and sad.. Just don’t know how I’m going to survive this. Thanks for letting me share..

Domenic

2. dhip

dhip Active Member

Understand,I know it sounds corny,but prayer helped me.A family member is a family member,period.

Doug H.

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Domenic. RIP, Abby.

4. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

My beloved yellow Lab, Harley, died in my arms on Sat. 5/19 from heart failure. He died on his 12th birthday. There was no greater friend or gun dog that walked the face of the earth. My heart and soul is so empty.

Dick Gries

5. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Sorry for your loss. Been there, bought the t-shirt, still hurts somedays, eight years later.

Ron

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Domenic and Dick,

Sincere condolances. Doug said it well...

"A family member is a family member, period". And Doug, doesn't sound corny to me...

milt

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Here is a poem that usually offers some comfort. Bill Malcolm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Hang in there bud..........Think of the good times.........

Wayne

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss...lost both my black labs in the last year and half. No dogs in the house now for last 3 months. Like you said, the house is empty.
    Keep your mind on the good times and comfort your pup gave you. It will get better...time and God will make it better.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I feel your pain my friend..try to remember the good times and she'll live in your heart forever

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Many of us here have experienced your pain Dominick. From one who has been there too many times I can tell you time helps but we are never entirely free of that feeling of loss. As a friend of mine once said, "I still cry over dogs I lost 20 years ago.". Trust me on this. Life will return to normal. It will be a different normal, and occasionally something will remind you and it will hurt, but life WILL return to normal. Doug

12. avery53

avery53 Member

Lost my Brit of almost 14 yrs a few months ago, and I feel your pain.
    It's getting better, but I think of her every day, sometimes tears still well up in my eyes.
    Having them die in your arms is the right thing to do, but damn it hurts.
    Hang in there, and know you have a lot of company around here. Lots of dog lovers in these parts.
    Looking forward to that Rainbow Bridge!

avery

13. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

We had to do the same 2 years ago. Time heals and you definitely need a to get a puppy.

14. Buckshot95

Buckshot95 TS Member

Domenic,
    I know your pain my friend, Just 14 months ago I had to put my first Hunting partner and my best friend down. He made it 3 months past his 15th birthday and was still retrieving for me past his 13th birthday! I miss him everyday, still!
    I found a great deal of comfort the day I put him down going back through all of the years photos from our hunting trips together. I have no children, so all my labs are like my children.
    Still hunting now, with a great son he gave me!
    and his son's mother turned 13 two weeks ago!
    Fang

15. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

So sorry for both of your loss' this week. I still have a copy of the Rainbow bridge that I got from right here when I had to put my rottie Rajh down years ago. Still have a pic of her in my office too. It helps and she is in a better place now. It was time. I'll say a prayer for you all tonight. Take care. John

16. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

You know never sounds corny... you loved that pup and they are part of the family ... and makes you a better person to love ... This world would be a better placed if we all loved like a pup loves there owner...

17. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

My heart goes out to y'all.I lost my Nellie(B.L) a couple of years ago......she was my only girl,and she could hunt with the best of them.Time heals,but puppies heal ya quicker.

God Bless,and know we are all with you,and yours.

D.P.Reynolds

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Domenic, I 'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's very hard to losse a loved companion, she is out of pain and running in a large bird filled field. Having been in your shoes the best thing is to remember all th joy she brought to your home and give it time. A new friend is waiting for you and your family when the time is right you and that new pup will find each other.

19. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Domenic, All dog lovers go through this to when we lose our faithful companion'

it is awful hard on us. The poem , Rainbow Bridge is a lot of comfort to us all.

I have experienced the pain too many times and it never gets easier. Yes I'm

shedding a tear as I write this. Ken U

20. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Thank you for all the best wishes, been really hard since her passing. I stayed by her side the last 20-hours and held her as she passed on, she would have done the same for me. It’s hard to even think about another dog now, I believe she was my once in a lifetime dog. Anyway thanks for reading this I know I’ve had a hard time reading these posts the last couple of years knowing what I would have to deal with it someday.

Domenic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.