1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost my best freind this week

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GUNNAR391, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GUNNAR391

GUNNAR391 TS Member

I had to put one of my best friends down this week, LEVI. He was sick with heart worm,s, vet was not sure he would survive the treatment. There was a thread that talked about a dogs needs, 6 or 7 things. One was whenthe time comes DO NOT leave me with a stranger, I did not. Held him in arms as he faded away, could some find this thread for me, please ? Just can not find it, would be a big help, if found. thanks

2. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

When my Zeke passed on, held him in my arms also. It killed me but I helped him into this world, least I could do was help him out. A wonderful black lab! Can't lie, I cried like a baby!

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Forgot to add; my thoughts are with you!!!!! I hope they get a never ending bone in heaven, they are mans/womens best friends.

4. Beni

Beni Member

Had to put my yellow lab down last sept. 9 years old his name was also zeke. He certainly lived by the lab 3 F code Food Family FUN and I never could figure out which came first. I still miss him very much but have a new yellow lad to take care of now his nam is MR Zeus or goose for short they sure fill your life with many memories. good luck and sorry for your loss beni

5. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Gunnar391 My thoughts and prayer for you and you're Buddy I know how we get attached to our little friends I hope he is playing and some day you will see how he is doing again God Bless you in this time. Pat .k.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

All of my dogs have died in my arms, and knowing how painful that is I appreciate those of you who bear that pain. You done good by him Gunnar.

7. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

A Dog's Prayer
    Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

We are almost at this point with our Lab and it will be another of Lifes hard lessons.

8. shelly

shelly TS Member

I fail to understand why any dog owner would allow his dog to get heartworms when it's so easily preventable. Granted, they aren't cheap but a once a month pill is all it takes to prevent this rampant dog killer. If my dogs ever get heartworms, the fault will lie with me.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Gunnar you did what needed to be done and did it how it should be done. It is brutally hard as many of us can attest but your pal deserved nothing less.

Feeling the pain just means that you had something real and that you gave a piece of your heart to a creature that really appreciated it. Take comfort in the fact that you made your pal's life worth living and got a fair trade in the exchange.

Feeling your pain - Greg

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Gunnar, our dogs give all they know how during their short lives and ask for nothing more than a final gesture of love at their passing. I am soon to loose my girl of 8yrs. to cancer and will be with her at the end. It's the least we can do!

Robert

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's always hard to loose a family member and a best friend.

13. FIB

FIB Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's true that our pets become one of the family. I can't imagine a home wihtout a dog (or cat if that's your per of choice).

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Well i got a few in Rainbow Ridge waiting for me their. Not that far away anymore.

I have had to do the same thing two a couple of mine. I've got a dog grave yard out back and all are in homemade coffins I made them. When I moved 11 yrs. ago I raised up my first retriever and brought him with us. You don't leave a buddy behind, Wild Bill

15. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

My heart aches for you and your family....My sister lost her Rhodesian Ridgeback "Buster" 2 weeks ago right before what would have been is 13th birthday...

It's to bad they can't stay with us until the day we die and then we can walk up to heaven together....Some day I believe we will all meet back up with our pets...I can't imagine a heaven without them waiting there at the pearly gates wagging their tails with their unconditional love for us just like they waited at the door for us all those years every day we arrived home...Their paw prints will forever be tracked accross our hearts forever!

Once again I am sorry for your loss!

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I Think of it this way. I want my pets to go before me. I do not want them to suffer the pain of losing me, I would rather suffer from losing them.

17. avery53

avery53 Member

I feel for you, been there too many times.
    My two Brits are getting close to the end, kills me thinking about it.
    avery

18. len loma

len loma TS Member

Sorry to of your lost. Len

19. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

This thread has made me sad! Last march 29th I had to have my best friend of 8 years put down. He had become so sick because his kidneys were shutting down. I stayed up with him till 4am on a sunday night giving him med. the vet had given me until he went to sleep. The next day he could'nt even stand up but he would raise his head and wag his tail at me. So I knew the time had come so I made the appointment for the last one in the day so I could spend alittle more time with him and hope for a miracle. Well that did'nt happen and the vets office is only 2 miles away but I could'nt take him I had to have my motherinlaw take him. now you all say you held them while they gave them the shot? I don't know how, I would have needed an ambulance for me. He was like my child we were always together. I put him in the back yard in a special casket with a headstone with his name and dates just like a person. I'm almost 49 years old and have been through some hard times but nothing harder than having to let my best friend go!

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Shelly, how do you know that this dog didn't have an MP3 (or other) resistant strain of heartworms? Heartworms are not 100% treatable, nor are they 100% curable.

To everyone else, make sure you get your dogs tested for heartworms once a year, even though you are giving them a monthly dose of ivermectin-based treatment. There are resistant strains out there.

Gunnar, Martin and I are very sorry for your loss. We had to put one of our dogs down a couple of years ago, and it is a very difficult thing to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.