1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost mid bead on barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1100 classic trap shooter, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

I shot 100 doubles and 100 handicaps Saturday. When I got back home I started to clean my 1100 and I noticed that the mid bead was missing. I ordered a replacement from Numrich Gun Parts. Will loctite help hold this one in place? Has any one else had this happen? Guess I did not even notice it was gone during my shooting?

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

The 1st time I shot my Brand New BT99 Gold Clays the center bead fell out 1/2 way through my 1st round. Boy was I PO'd. I doubt if you need to locktite the new center bead in although it certainly won't hurt anything if you do. BTW I sold that BT99....as I discovered that whoever built/put together that particular gun must have been drunk that day. The barrel porting was not deburred to the point of almost cutting myself, forearm was loose the center bead fell out etc, etc, etc. No quaility control whatsoever.

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

The 1st time I shot my Brand New BT99 Gold Clays the center bead fell out 1/2 way through my 1st round. Boy was I PO'd. I doubt if you need to locktite the new center bead in although it certainly won't hurt anything if you do. BTW I sold that BT99....as I discovered that whoever built/put together that particular gun must have been drunk that day. The barrel porting was not deburred to the point of almost cutting myself, forearm was loose the center bead fell out etc, etc, etc. No quaility control whatsoever.

4. BMC

BMC Member

I had the same thing happen with my 1100 Competition during a shoot, one minute it was there, the next it was gone into the grass abyss. I called Remington to get the info on what size I needed to order and the helpful chap on the other end of the phone asked for my address and put one in the mail for free. I just screwed it into barrel, used some small pliars to snug it down, and it never moved after that.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

If you do use loctite make sure it is not the red stuff it is more permanent.

I have heard of some just using fingernail polish on the threads

foghorn

6. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

I was at the 100th Maryland State Shoot in Millington a few years ago. I broke a 96 the first 100 of the championship singles. The cross piece of the gun rack was a couple inches too high for my Browning Special Trap and it knocked the center bead off the rib. I went out for the second hundred without a center bead and broke 98, enough to win open class D with the 194.

I still would not have a center bead were it not for the fact that I needed to send the gun back to Browning when the gun froze half closed, half open with a live round in the chamber. They replaced the center bead as part of their "Twenty Week Repair Service".

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

No Irfner I tig welded in permanent....Cost me about a DIME.

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Mid-Bead what is a Mid-Bead???????????? Have not seen one of those in years.............

GS

9. JJM64

JJM64 TS Member

I also lost the mid bead on my 1100 last weekend while shooting doubles. I got along without it, then the link broke. I had to borrow a gun to finish the event. I have a gunsmith replacing both.

I like my 1100 Classic Trap, but would like it better if parts didn't break so often. It constantly chews up barrel seals and is finicky about ammunition.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

1100 classic trap shooter- Middle beads break off rather commonly. They are typically compression fit and easy to replace with the proper tools. First, make sure all of the first mid bead is out of the hole. The small metal band sometimes will remain.

I would not recommend using any adhesive on the replacement bead. The beads usually break off rather than fall out. I would also ask around your gun club and find a person who has replaced several of the beads. Replacement is not complicated on the compression beads but like any job, there are a few tricks.

Pat Ireland

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I lost my center bead and couldn't find one with the right thread. I came across a fiberoptic rod at a hobby shop that was just about the diameter of the threaded hole in the rib. I cut off a piece the right length, rounded off one end, applied a little silicone seal, and pushed it all the way into the hole in the rib. It's been there a year, and the flourescent green center bead nicely complements the red fiberoptic sight I have at the end of the barrel. Cost: about 50 cent, and I can make about 20 more from the same rod.

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Jim Brown,

How were you legally able to send the gun back to Browning with a live round in the chamber?

John C. Saubak

13. JJM64

JJM64 TS Member

Does anyone know the size of the replacement middle bead or the Remington part number? I looked at the parts list on the Remington web site. I'm not sure that I found the right one. There was one listed under the 11-87 but not that I saw for the 1100. Some parts are interchangable, but not sure about the middle sight bead.

14. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

No, the reason it took so long to get it fixed is that I forced it open by bending it over my knee. That little bar that the forearm rest against, the bar that needs to be able to slide, got bent, but I got the live round out of it.

BTW, Browning replaced the parts with stainless XT parts, not blued Citori parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt 99 mid bead
loctite shotgun mid bead
mid barrell sight for 1100
rem 1100 middle bead sight

remington 1100 mid bead

remington 1100 midbead
remngton classic trap mid bead
what size threads did remington use for mid bead sight