1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost desire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stu mackay, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

I have lost the desire to shoot trap. Anybody deal with this problem? What was your solution? Not a cost problem.

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Me too! After 23 years I no longer have any desire to shoot. I got classified at the Southern Zone today just to get the pin. JRM

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Could it be that you are bored? If so do something different. Tty bunker trap. The challenge will invigorate you.

Tom

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Take some time off. You will shoot better when you come back and you will have a chance to think about the sport and if you want to continue. I went through the "I don't give a s@@@" period a couple of years ago.

JON

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I mix it up. I have to or I would get bored. I shoot skeet and trap every Wednesday and sporting clays every Saturday. The only exception to that is substituting hunting ducks, pheasants, and quail during the bird season on Saturdays. Sometimes I run Saturday field trials too. Sundays are Church and family day. I have been shooting for over 30 years now and still enjoy it each time I see a clay target break or a dog go on point or a flock of ducks coming into the decoys. I can't tell you how many people I have seen come and go in the sport. A lot of them come in and go crazy until they quickly burn out. Some never really develop much of an interest but jump from one activity to another their whole life. It is good to know these people. You can get some great buys off them. I consider myself lucky to have found something that I really enjoy everytime I go out. Some are richer than me but none enjoy their lives more. Finding your passions in life is one of life's secrets. Mine is the outdoors.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Best not to force shooting, or anything for that matter, when your interest has gone. You'll just make it worse. Usually dressing it up by shooting different games is like putting a bow tie on a pig.

Do you know what has caused your indifference to trapshooting? What has changed to turn you off? Usually there is something like losing friends, aches and pains and the old worn out " it just isn't the same anymore.

It sounds like you lament your loss of interest so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you come back refreshed after some extended length of time off.

If you crave hobbies try something completely away from the clay shooting sports. Good Luck

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The same thing happened to me a few years back and I took up bowling and am having a ball (no pun intended) ... I still go up to the club from time to time just for kicks and giggles and to see some friends, and usually take a gun and shells with but seldom shoot unless I feel the need ... I took a Model 12 up there that I had not shot in over 3 years and ran 25 from the 27 just like I never stopped shooting (sure in practice, lol) ... I have mixed feelings about it and its not an affordability thing, I guess I have just gotten lazy and tired of sitting around all day to shoot 100 or 200 targets ... I can go and bowl in a tournament and be home in time for a late lunch and besides that its climate controlled ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Poppy5 and Perga,

I too was just like you guy's, until Medical problems stepped in and I have not been able to shoot since Oct.1 2008 and after just having total shoulder replacement of right shoulder(8 weeks ago)have been told by Doc another 12 months on the side line.

Funny now I am breaking out in boils wanting to get back to the line, we don't know what we had until we cannot do it any more.

As other have already said a long layoff may be the answer, though I have found in the past a new gun always got me interested again at least until the novelty wore off.

Good luck.

Release Trigger......

9. FLIP

FLIP Member

got any shot or primers for sale?

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Why is this a "problem"? Life's too short -- go do something you enjoy. Problem solved.

Good luck to you.

-Gary

11. 3357

3357 Member

I am ready for a break (after 6 months of steady trap shooting/competing) when October comes around. I take a break and bowhunt for deer and chase grouse and woodcock around for 4-6 weeks. Then shoot a social round or two of 5 stand with an 870 from the low gun position starting in January during our long, cold, hard ass winter on Saturdays.....weather permitting, or maybe drink coffee at the club and watch others shoot. By spring I am missing the trap range and fired up for another season of practice and competing. For me at least a break is important for me and my family.

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Release Trigger, sent you a PM

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Go to your doctor and tell him you want your testosterone/free testosterone levels checked. If the result comes back low or even close to being low, ask him about getting some patches. I'll bet your zest for a lot of things will come back. Good luck.

14. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Interesting thread. As I just started in March, I'm just getting to shoot my first ATA tomorrow. I just finished a 12 week league yesterday. I own one old shotgun, and reload like crazy to keep up with my shooting.
    Now, having said all that, I was a FLYER, caps intended, for the entire previous life. I have all the usual pilot ratings, have instructed, flown for pay, flown for fun, served on the board of flying clubs, built my own plane, etc. etc. etc.
    Now, after starting shooting, pistol league, NRA highpower rifle, and now trap, I almost never see my plane or hangar. Weird.
    So, I know how you feel. But...when I fly now, I always say, as I sit in the cockpit after a flight..."I'd miss this".

So, don't sell your guns.

Jeff

15. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I actually never liked shooting at all. I do love to reload and this was the easiest way to get the hulls empty.

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Medical problems will do it, but don't start fishing anytime soon, my fishing is so bad, that the fish in the water told me to go back shooting. Grandson 12 fish total 2,4 and 6 pounders,he's 7 years old, my catch 0, yesterday. Fishing is relaxing even if you don't have a good day. I quit shooting after high school, kick my self everyday, quit the last 2 years, just started back,still kicking myself. Don't stop, find something else to do. Also their shooting pool and other things, and most towns has a city rec center, alot of fun and meet new people. Also just cut back. When August comes I may just go once a week or may stop for a month or two, to do my stock and gun repairs, while its hot.Good luck.
    Railroad

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Today's trap shooting is more of a mental game than it was years ago in my view. One of the games best shots always said the game is 90% mental and the other 10% don't much matter, close enough for his point. The best in the game today have figured out how to apply mental toughness to each and every target they shoot! I think all us average shooters get somewhat burned out having the same result time after time without that mental toughness process to rely on. Shooting the game and learning how to apply the proper mental medicine is a different game altogether.

Hap

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hap, IMO, is right on again. Trap is endurance shooting, IMO, and either one endures or doesn't. That's why I oddly find that my skeet scores are about the same, if not better, than my trap singles scores with a 12 gauge. And I rarely shoot skeet...but there is so much time to cool off and get into that mental focus between shots!!! Trap can be mentally exhausting! I have tremendous, tremendous respect and admiration for those that can shoot trap so well consistently week in and week out.

19. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

One wonderful thing about living somewhere that it snows (even though I know most people despise snow...). I have about 8 months to shoot, trap 2 times a week and sporting clays once a month and about the time that 8 months is up, I'm starting to lose interest. Then I spend the rest of my time on a snowmobile, in school or in the shop. Josh

20. andybull

andybull Active Member

Sporting Clays, you might not go back to Trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.