1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Birds

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by clayguy, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayguy

clayguy TS Member

I'm a beginning trap shooter who has been trap shooting for just over a year and have noticed what I think is an interesting phenomenon. It is this; a shooter in the squad will miss a bird and it seems that one or more shooters following will also miss their bird. We are recreational trappers, so misses are not a rare thing, but it just seems that I have observed many times, a domino effect when a shooter in the squad misses a clay. Unfortunately, I've been the head domino on more occasions than I care to recall. Anybody else been a witness to this or am I in some sort of twiight zone? Bill

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have seen the pattern you describe. I also have often seen a shooter with a good score miss one followed by a second loss. We easily get our minds off track.

Pat Ireland

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have seen it too many times to remember. I think that it is because trapshooters have itty bitty brains. Why on earth else would we keep shooting lol.

If you think it bothers you, it will. Just take a second extra time and break the pattern. See the target, hit the target. Shooting trap is almost all mental. If you THINK something will make you miss, it will.

John

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Worse yet is when one fellow misses, the next guy misses, the third guy misses and right through the whole squad. When I'm the third or more behind a series of misses, I stop, take the gun down, examine the shell like I had a problem to deal with, exchange that shell for another, and start all over. If I do that, I usually end the series of losses with a good hit where in the past I used to continue the series like I meant to....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Pat said! The reason for this is simple and easier to prevent than you might think. If a shooter concentrates more on what HE/SHE must do and not on what the other shooters happen to be doing, this can be prevented! Or,at least, reduced!Total concentration is required for good scores and less distractions on the line.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hipshot 3- You are correct, but when the squad has all broken their first 20 and we move to the last post, I know it. And, when a squad member is 95 straight and he moves to the last post, I know it. I am thinking more about his last five than I am my next five. Sometimes shooting with friends causes mental distractions.

Pat Ireland

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Assuming the squad is not shooting on a very windy day...

Les Greevy has stated that you can improve your odds of a break by visualizing that break during your pre-shot routine. Likewise, calling for your target with the image of a lost bird fresh in your mind can and will disrupt your thought and performance processes enough to cause you to miss also. It's important to take the time to over-write that negative visual image with a positive one of your own when you shoot next.

Morgan

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

BDodd: is right on. I stop take a deep breath and wait a few moments before I mount the gun, I try to gather myself and focus. I been caught up to many times in the machine gun rattle of Lost-lost-lost.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

pAT ...YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, BUT THATS THE POINT AT WHICH THE MENTAL DISCIPLINE AND CONCENTRATION THING COMES INTO PLAY. GRANTED, IT AIN'T EASY, BUT THERE'S NO CHOICE.....JUST STAY FOCUSED ON YOU AND THE TARGET AND NOTHING ELSE......YES, EVEN IF YOU'RE HITTING AT 299/300. THERE IS NO LAST TRAGET....THEY ARE ALL FIRST TARGETS![Sorry for the caps}.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.