1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost A Good Friend and Shooting Buddy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It is with a very heavy heart that I must inform you all of the passing of Mike "Sammy" Samphilipo of Essex Md.
    Mike passed away 10am Saturday morning after a valiant battle with many health issues until the final battle with cancer that he fought but could not win.
    Mike was a registerd ATA member in good standing as a well as at a few different clubs and even when unable to shoot because of his dialysis having zapped all of his strength, he would be on the line scoring at the ATA shoots at Carney. I'm not sure how many targets he has shot over the years but I know the dust would make a mountain for sure. Not to mention Mr Kreighoff and Mr. Perazzi would have been a lot poorer without Mikes enthusiastic love of fine guns. I didn't even know what those were until I met him...up to then my 1100 Remington with that beautiful dark shiny wood was the most exotic shotgun I had ever seen and had never seen light of day.
    I was a young man just out of college and the Navy when I met Mike at Stoney Creek Hunting and Fishing club. even as just a novice guest who showed up on an open public trap night, Mike made me feel like one of the guys. He and I shot together on lots of partner games because he didnt mind shooting with the guy who shot the rattling old black Mossberg synthetic pump gun, and as a gift for his friendship, he always got to claim my newly fired fresh AA's which most times he would give back to me loaded the next week just so I could shoot just one more game with him.
    I hope there are trap fields in heaven so Mike will have a place to relax now that his pain is gone. I will miss him and his grumpiness ...in the end he was more like my uncle and I will always remember him, me holding his gun so he could climb on my golf cart at the sporting range, him, griping the whole time that I should have never raised it up..he was right.
    I will see my friend again and many others who have passed on these many years again some day sooner or later I'm sure ...Goodbye and Shoot Well Mike.."Well as I can" he would always reply......Funeral arrangements are as follows: Viewings today and Tuesday 3-5pm and 7-9pm Buriel Ceremony Wednesday at 10am Location: Connelly's Funeral Home 300 Mace Ave. Essex Md. 21221
    The family has requested donations be made to the Kidney Foundation of Md...1107 Kenilworth Ave., ..Towson Md. 21204 ..in lieu of flowers

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

That is tough- our thoughts go with you.

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

So Sorry to here of your loss. Embrace the memories of your friend, stay strong, time will heal the wounds.

John

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Calvin, It's easy to see by what you have conveyed to us, that you thought a great deal of the man.

He sounds like someone I would like to know.

Our prayers to him, his family and to you.

Hauxfan!

5. CalvinMD

he was a great guy whom if I had not met ..I probably would have never shot a registered target and got into the sport I love so much and have all the terrific friends i have today

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Calvin.... Life is short...... True friendship is forever... While Mike's life is over, and he has passed to a better, painfree, place, his obvious friendship with you will never be over.... Cherish it, my friend, just as he would if the tables were reversed. He will always be with you... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Calvin, you lost a special friend and shooting partner, my heart goes out to all that new him and his family. I know he will be missed by many so celebrate his life and friendship. And remember all the great times you and he shared. It will make you smile from time to time and I'd bet that's what he would want.

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Calvin,

Sorry to hear of Mike's passing. I'm sure that you enriched his life just as he enriched yours. You are both better for having known each other. Perhaps you can find someone else to pass along to some of the things he taught and did for you. Life is fleeting. Enjoy your time and friends while you can.

Easystreet

9. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Cal, I write this with tears in my eyes as I know what you feel today. 5 years ago I to lost my best friend and shooting buddy, it will never get easy as you will never go to a shoot without seeing your friend on the line watching you. Just know that you had what many people never find , something that can not even be put into words, it's being with each other and not having to say a word and coming away knowing you had a great time without even speaking. Thats as close as I can come to explaining it. My prayers are with you in the coming months. Bernie

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Calvin.... Life is short...... True friendship is forever... While Mike's life is over, and he has passed to a better, painfree, place, his obvious friendship with you will never be over.... Cherish it, my friend, just as he would if the tables were reversed. He will always be with you... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Calvin, I couldn't find any better words than my friend Dan said, so I copied his heart felt post too!

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

We all need to remember: "Each day we are on this side of the earth is part of the good old days"...sorry to preach, and I'm very sorry about your loss.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Calvin, thanks for the phone call...

Mike was one of the good guys on the east coast. I met him at Southend Gun Club when I first started registering targets, and looked forward to chatting with him at various local and state shoots in the area. He was a very good shot and loved the sport so much that he showed up as late as a few weeks ago just to watch, knowing that he wasn't going to be here much longer. I just gave him a big hug and told him that he would always be with us in our hearts.

There will be a lot of us that will miss him. I'll think about him every time I shoot my Citori XS, since it belonged to him first, then Calvin, then me.

Watch over us, Mike. We'll be thinkin' about ya.

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Calvin: I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. My prayers are with his family. Shooting buddies are so special. Darrell

14. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

One hell of a Good Guy, I am surely going to miss shooting with Him, and listing to Him Bitch about everything ( everyone that knew Him will understand what I mean by that ) He Bitched alot but always with some Jest, He always had something nasty to say to Me and I to Him, ALWAYS IN FUN, and he would always add in the end "" When i pass away, I dont want Ron Z to have any of My Guns !!! """ God Bless You Mike

15. CalvinMD

Mike was a character alright,..but once you really knew how to take what he said as he really meant it ,..then you couldn't help but love the old cuss and laugh

16. TC

TC TS Member

Calvin: Sorry about the loss of your friend. Tony

17. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

My condolences on your friends passing. A true friend is a rare thing and something to be cherished.

18. CalvinMD

Just returned from the graveyard...finally sinking in that our shooting days are over

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.