1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOST A GOOD DOG LAST NIGHT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by double release, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. double release

double release Member

Just got done burying my son Joe's 10 year old yellow lab this morning. He was part of the family, a good dog, and will really be missed. Joe let him out of his kennel when he got home last night like he always does and max ran down to our lake and jumped in and got a drink like always but something happened and his stomach turned 180 degrees. We knew something was wrong right away and rushed him off to the vet but you know the rest of the story. When ever you see Joe this weekend at the Colonial Classic he will be feeling down in the dumps. I know trap shooters care a lot about dogs from all the past threads on here and when word got out that my wife and I lost our 16 year old doxie, Mitzie, who traveled to all the shoots with us The phone calls and cards we recieved from all over the country sure helped ease the pain. Trap shooters have a way of helping just by knowing that you are there.

Thanks,

Frank

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

My condolencenses. Our dogs become such a major part of our lives and then they are gone. Just put our German Shepherd down last week due to old age, so I know the feeling. Given time we seem to heal. I think my next pet will be a parrot - let them bury me. With deepest sympathy - Fred

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I feel your pain friend. I lost a Doberman and my Shepard to Gastric torsion. Almost one year to the date apart. We had been feeding both of those dogs the same way for years. They don't know 100% what causes it but they usally blame the feeding behaviour. It's a long drive home to tell the family that another dog is dead. McKenzie was 4 and Brandy was 10. It's the damndest thing and I had never heard of it until it happened to McKenzie and then it happened to Brandy a year later. They did CPR at the vet on Brandy( 25 bucks a minute) and I had McKenzie put down as he was in so much distress they said he wouldn't survive the surgery. They are web sites that tell all about it but they really do not know why it happens and even the surgery is not 100% effective. They go in and staple the dogs stomach to the inside of the rib cage so it can't flip over. My condolences on your loss and please make sure your son knows that it wasn't his fault in any way. Sadly..... shit happens and sometimes it happens to our best friends. Jeff

4. Westie

Westie Member

Sorry. I know how much it hurts.

5. Bubba

Bubba Member

Sorry to hear of the loss of a family member.

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our dogs are people too and a big part of our family....so sorry to hear your sad story. Sounds like a perfect time for a new addition to the family...this is a good time of the year for a new pup....

7. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

They are not dogs, they are actually little kids in dog suits. Our two Welsh Teriers are like having two extra kids :)
    Neil

8. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Sorry for your loss and tell Joe the same! Great luck shooting this weekend.
    Rooferbob

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

My condolences, I have had to have several dogs put down in my 70 years of life and I loved all of them like children. I can remember all of them and think of them quite often. Richard

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

My condolences on your loss - seems many of us have been going through this in the past year or so. Hard enough when it's your own, just as hard to hear about others. Take care.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A good friend travelled to Missouri from Ca. to buy a high dollar mule. Two months later, the mule died from "sanding", a term the vet used describing what happened to the mules intestine. Tough to lose a $10,000 animal or your buddy in such a way! Sorry to hear of your loss! Hap

"He's Just My Dog

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;

my other ears that hear above the winds.

He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.

He has told me a thousand times over that

I am his reason for being;

by the way he rests against my leg;

by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile;

by the way he shows his hurt when I leave

without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry

when he is not along to care for me)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.

When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.

When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool,

he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him,

I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful.

He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion.

With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.

He has brought me understanding where before was ignorance.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.

His presence by my side is protection against my fears

of dark and unknown things.

He has promised to wait for me......whenever

......wherever - in case I need him.

And I expect I will -- as I always have.

He is just my dog.

*By Gene Hill"

12. zinger

zinger Member

So sorry to hear about Max...we'll see Joe this weekend. Kim / Bruce

13. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Frank & Joe.

Add my Condolences too, very sad, I know how you both are feeling, I lost a 10 1/2 year old Lab to a Gastric Torsion too. At the time I had a 15 1/2 year old Golden that I was getting ready to put down, I told my kids the Lab would be around for a long time yet, he went first. I trained Labs for about 20 years it is something that you see the odd time. There is different theories on it that I won't go into on here.

Terry.

14. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

When I moved to Missouri, my future wife and I took in a Fox Hound who needed to retire from the Hunt Club that we belong too. Her name was Repair (She was born with a hernia so had to be repaired). This was in Oct of 2005 Repair had developed a neurological disorder that made her walk or run as if her legs were on backwards. I have owned many dogs but this particular hound stole your heart she truly was a family member that is missed.

I can feel your loss.

Ronbo

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sorry to hear of your loss, pets get to be a part of you and when something of this magnatude happens its truly painfull ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

So sorry to hear about your families loss. I know how difficult it is to go through. It will get a little easier, just remember the good times shared with a family friend for life. John

17. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. Our Yellow Lab was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. (Bone cancer) He was loved so much. The cost of removing his right front leg and the chemotherapy treatments at the University of Florida amounted to approximately $13,000. (This included the cost of vet charges in the Ocala. Fl. area) We feel it allowed him a life extension of about 12 months. After he needed to be euthinized, we were devistated. Almost 1 year after his death; I now understand that we were very unfair to him. We loved him so much and couldn't let go. The last month was a nightmare for my wife and I. He finally lost the use of his back legs and we were relegated to having to "carry" a one legged dog to do his "duty". Believe me we are not rich people. Toma, (our wonderful friend), cost us a lot of my 401K. Would I do it again? You damn right!! He was such a wonderful dog and a member of our family!! Ed

18. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

esoxhunter

<< Would I do it again? You damn right!!>>

I'm with you. We lost our dog to liver cancer. No treatment was possible, so we didn't have your financial burden, but for the last six months I had to carry him outside and hold him while he relieved himself. It was no hardship...and he'd have done the same for me.

19. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

What do you do for someone who has just lost a dog that belongs to your trap club? We would like to somehow memoralize the dog at our shooting facility??

20. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

At our club we have some engraved marble stations to honor special deceased members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.