1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loss Target

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dust is Lost! Very simple...."a visable piece". Doesn't matter who observes the piece as long as the scorekeeper records it as Dead!

In all actuality, trapshooting is a very simple game.

Curt

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Dust is dust and a piece is a piece. Lost target. John

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Come On

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Squibb, what do you do for a living?

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have for too many years said, "Dust is simply many small but visible pieces...." However, it was always said as a point of humorosity. And, I use WD-40 to clean guns!.....Bob Dodd

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You either hit the target or missed the target. If it "dusts", you have hit the target. This would be an objective rule and objective rules are easier to apply. Visable dust vs visable piece is a subjective rule and impossible to always get right because every witness has to decide what constitutes a visable piece.

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

"Visable dust vs visable piece is a subjective rule". Not the way I see it. Dust is dust and a piece is a piece and the rules are specific: dust is a miss.

8. clays

clays TS Member

It does not matter if it is dust or a hit, you must "break" the target with at least a visable piece or it is "lost"

Clays

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

In trap shooting rules, yes, it's considered a lost target. Any of you guys watch the Olympic shoot-offs? Dusted birds counted a a hit also!! Hap

10. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Only 1 person gets to make the judgement....the scorer. Visible piece is subject to the scorers judgement. The call is not subject to a vote of the squad shooting. However that said, scorers in most cases yield to several members of the squad shooting who call the bird 'Dead target'. However I witnessed a scorer who insisted it was a lost target and scored it that way regardless of the 'Dead target' voiced by several on the squad.

Augie

11. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I believe a dusted target is a hit target. If it's hit it shouldn't be lost. Sometimes a bucket of dust comes off the target. How can anyone say it wasn't hit? But what the hell rules are rules and if everyone plays by them it's fair. JMHO Richard

12. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I have to admit, dust is composed of pieces and if it is visible why should it be called lost. In order to get "dust" the target had to be hit by the shoooter.

I guess it boils down to defining the size of a "piece".

JMHO

Jim C

13. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

If dust is lost and a piece is dead, then if the target is hit so hard that it becomes a boiling cloud of dust, with no pieces or chips, it should be called lost. But according to the rules, it is a dead bird. So a little dust is lost and a lot of dust is dead. (insert smiley face)

The point is that if you can SEE dust, then those are visible pieces of the target.. The difference between getting a piece and just dust off of a target, probably has more to do with the makeup of the target rather than how hard it was hit. A brittle target may offer a chip where as a soft target may only dust. I have seen some very soft targets that had up to 8 holes in them and no sign of a chip coming off.

The rule could be considered ambiguous by a lawyer but the way it is interpreted woks for most.

A little mental jousting is good for the brain.

Gene

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Can someone tell me how big in some standard unit of measurement a piece has to be so as not to be classified dust by the human eye at 40 yards?

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

h92064, can you imagine the fun a couple Philadelphia lawyers could have with that? :) Hap

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I don't know about "how big" but if you can see a piece falling to the ground then it's dead. I shoot over a small man made lake and there's very little if any argument about dead or lost. If there's a splash in the water then it's dead.

Eric

17. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Dr. Frank Rivley got my vision in my Rx lenses to around 20/10 again. I forgot how many targets I used to see get dusted. I had a buddy on my squad dust several targets. I saw dust not a piece that could be considered a chip. I assume he hit the target with one or two #8s and probably in the wrong place to get a chip...loss target. Another person hit a target and there was no dust but a tiny chip came off and I could see it as a chip...dead target. It has never been an issue to me over the past 40 years of shooting clay birds. If I see a single piece or several identifiable pieces it is a dead bird. If I see dust and nothing that I can follow as a chip it is a loss.

Clear to me. The big variable is the collective eyesight of the squad and scorer. A squad of 20/10 will see more chips than a squad of 20/30.

Now the question is, as the shooter with the best eye sight on the squad can I call my own chipped targets?

Thanks Dr. Frank....great job!
    CA

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Dust is a collection of very small pieces of the target, a hit. The visible "piece" is what is left and falling to the ground. JRM

19. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

You've got to break the target.

Dusting a target is not breaking it.

Dusted is lost. Why is this even being discussed?

hubcap

20. Trapgeezer

Trapgeezer TS Member

A target which boils dust is surely hit but rules is rules. Visible piece! I am of the opinion that because of the spin imparted to the target which continues during its flight, when broken, will send pieces in all directions and not just down. We have all seen pieces travel away from a broken target in all directions, I am sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.