1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing the target in the sky

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I had a problem with losing sight of the target.

The condition was somewhat sunny but not super bright.

There is a gap in the tree background and I would lose sight of the target on my hard rights of post 5 and on 2 different fields (they are next to each other) when it would pass the open spots in the tree line. They don't use the black rimmed targets either. Another shooter said that would solve the problem.

I use Randolph lenses for the XLW frame. Dark purple is the color is what works for me most of the time, if it's not so sunny the orange, and when it's poor lighting pale yellow. I also have medium yellow & vermillion; but those only seem to work out when the others won't.

Any experiences like this or color recommendations?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Anytime the bird goes from a dark background to a light background, it will make the target vanish, especially if it is sunny on the target and there is a cloud behind the target. The real solution is to go with black rimmed targets. For some reason most clubs do not like change, and will shoot down your request.

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have the same problem. I am "color challenged" and see the target by contrast with the background. If the background isn't consistent, neither are my hits. Nothing seems to help in all situations and I have spent a pile of money trying. Ron

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Variable color backgrounds are problematic for most shooters - me included.

When I find myself 'loosing' track of the target I remind myself to see the target. Sounds like simplistic BS but relly if you are truly focused on the target the changing background won't throw you for such an illusion. A much lighter shade of lenses may also help you in these conditions but be ready for some eye strain.

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Black rimmed targets did solve the skyline problem but now the black ringed targets disappear into the background of dark tree trunks on one trap. Oh well have to deal with it.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

When the target enters the darker background doesn't the flourescent color take over, and vice versa. Jon

7. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I was having problems seeing the targets on skeet station 7 in our spring league shoots.

The fix that worked for me was a pair of cheap really dark tinted safety glasses that I use just on station 7.

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What Wolfram said. Lightest tint you can stand for the lighting conditons. Most every instructor I have used said the same. Took awhile for it to sink in but it really helped me.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

all orange or lime targets will either disappear or be fuzzy in a sky or clouded background. The best you can do is to go to the NY style target that has only the bottom vertical rim black.

10. open choke

open choke TS Member

Mark that's what I do now..... I use the lightest lens that doesn't cause squinting to let in more light.

I may need to get the "light purple" I spoke to morgan optical and they can also make me a custom medium purple too that's right in between the light and dark. I also have another to another guy who is good at this.

11. cole50

cole50 Member

Are you diabetic?

12. open choke

open choke TS Member

No, I'm only 31 yrs old.

This only happens at this one place I shoot at. And I guess it's showing now cause of the winter? I didn't take notice if during the summer all the leaves may have closed the gap or if the summer sky is a deeper blue that my dark purple lens works for as opposed to a lighter tint of purple for a not so deep blue sky.

I was somewhere else a few days before this that doesn't have a gap in the tree line and had no problems at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.