1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing birds in skyline

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm having a huge problem of losing birds when they transition from a tree lined background to above the tree line and into the sky. I will consistently do 5-8% worse when shooting against a background like this. Any advice on anything I can do to cure this problem, other than not shooting at clubs that have this type of background?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Perhaps different color lenses in your glasses might help?

Eric

3. 20yard

20yard TS Member

i have same problem, usually flinch as bird transitions to sky. I do use dark lenses but the change is causes me to momentarily lose the target and if I'm trying to pull the trigger get the flinch. The only counter-measure I've found effective is to shoot earlier, when I can get the shot before the transition point in the background no flinch, of course means you gotta get on the bird quicker.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I noticed the flinch today too. I was on station 4 or 5 and had a hard right. As soon as I lost the bird in the sky my body jerked I jumped way too far in front of the bird resulting in a miss. I think I'm going to have to switch to some dark lenses.

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Most guys have the same problem. I use the lightest tint lenses under such conditions. GAP

6. windyflat

windyflat Member

I was using a polarized bronze lens against the same type background without much luck. Switched to my v-lites (light purple) and my scores went up.

Tom

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had the exact same problem yesterday, was using a light vermillion (Desert Glow) most of the places I shot at throw Orange Dome style targets--the place I shot at yesterday threw all orange targets & when they reached into the sky I had no leading edge to see. My scores reflected it. Its near the end of the season in the south & my average for this year was set long ago.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

These usually help.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shoot'em a little faster (before they get to the tree line) ... No need to Thank me, always willing to help ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Me too! I just shoot where I think they should be and I get most of them. Fortunately where I shoot registered I do not have that problem.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've made the recomendation to use dome or NY style targets. Another club in the area went to dome & the targets are now much better.

Phil Berkowitz

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The NY Target is a bit easier for me to pickup but the last two times I've had this problem both clubs have been throwing all orange targets.

13. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

N.Y. targets are the answer. New Jersey refuses to throw them and they need them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.