1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing Bird

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I am a one eyed shooter and I cannot shoot two eyed, so hesitate suggesting that I learn to shoot with two eyes.

Now with that said, when I'm on stations 1-3 if I get a target that takes off to the left I lose sight of the bird behind my gun barrels. This causes me to either lift my head so that I can attempt to regain a line of sight on the target or to jump my gun over the bird which results in me shooting high, or I dump my gun below the target so I can view it and I shoot low.

I shoot O/U barrels for singles.

Would going to a unsingle with a high rib make any difference vs. using O/U barrels?

Any tips for keeping a line of sight on the target for a one eyed shooter?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

hold lower on the house

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm not losing it when it comes out of the house, I'm losing it as I make my swing to it.

4. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Can't self diagnose. What is your singles average ?

5. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

It's hard to understand when you first say "I lose sight of the bird behind my gun barrels", and then say "I'm not losing it when it comes out of the house, I'm losing it as I make my swing to it".

If you do like the Old Cowboy suggests and hold lower on the house, (and for a one eyed shooter, I'd try it with the top of the bead even with the house roof line) I can't imagine how you could loose sight of it as you make your swing, as the target will always be above your barrels.

If at any time, while starting with a low gun, your barrels are covering the target causing you to loose sight of it, your doing something wrong.

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Kemper,

My singles average is between a 94-96%.

Shooter R,

My hold point is even with the roof. I might be covering the bird, let me shoot another couple practice rounds and see if this is what I'm doing. I tend the break the bird by swinging through it but my front sight intersects the target while swinging through it.

7. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

From another 1 eyed shooter who had the same problem with the same symptoms, mine had 2 causes:

1. I did not have my eye locked on most angle targets BEFORE I moved the gun. Phil Kiner noticed this at a clinic when he saw the end of my barrel twitch or move when I called for a target. He explained that I was chasing streaks and never had the target in clear focus, probably because I was worried that the angle targets would get away from me.

2. Because I didn't have the target clearly in focus I didn't know exactly where to move the gun to. All my barrel moves were UP first and then left (or right). I was always coming in from behind or above the target and blocking it with the barrels. Again, Phil Kiner noticed this. He also noticed that my moves to the target were "leisurely" (his word) which gave me too much time to watch the bead.

The fix for the second problem was simple: he raised my point of impact just enough that I could break targets by shooting below their front edge at their 4, 6 or 8 oclock.

The fix for the first problem was a lot harder and involves a lot of supervised practice with hand pulled targets. The pulls were delayed various amounts to get me used to the fact that the target would not outrun me if I took that split second to focus on it instead of chasing streaks. The puller watched my barrel for anticipation and hit me in the back of the head with a broom handle when I jumped at a pull (kidding, just kidding). Once I had the targets in focus I could move the barrel to the exact part of the target I was focused on without ever really seeing the barrel. My swings became faster, more direct and more controlled and I was shooting more directly at the targets without having to use so much apparent visual lead. The gun speed builds in the lead and keeps the gun moving through the trigger pull.

I still occasionally fall back into the old technique but I'm doing that less and less often. My scores are steadily going up. I hold with my top barrel above the lip of the house and I look out about that high again above the rib. That works on posts 2, 3 and 4 where I can let the target appear from under the barrel. But Phil said to definitely lower my hold on 1 and 5 down to the corner of the house but keep my look point up and out so the barrel is never in the way. This works for me a lot better than holding at the same height on all 5 posts. Letting the target come out over the barrel on 1 and 5 means that it's further to the left or right before I see it. NOT GOOD.

Mike Killian

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rich. Harlan Campbell says hold a parallel 100% high gun and wait for the target to clear your bbl.

9. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I think MIA (and Harlan) is onto something. When you cannot see the bird well, it makes sense to raise the gun hold and wait for the bird to clear the barrel. The target will be easier to focus on and appear slower, allowing a more controlled move to the target.

Play Dead

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

One eye or two, keep the barrel from interfering with your ability to clearly (SEE) the targets till they are broken?

Hap

11. scubadiveswim

scubadiveswim TS Member

I am a one eyed shooter also. All the one eyed shooters that I have come in contact with say that a one eyed shooter must hold a low gun. I have tried both ways and holding the high gun really lowered my numbers. I hold just below the edge of the house. During your swing remember to always float the target. If you float the target you should not loose sight of it. One way of shooting does not always work for everyone. A one eyed shooter has less peripheral vision and must make certain adjustment to compensate for this. Harlan is a great shooter but his video really hurt my game. Phil Kiners new video has a section to help one eyed shooters. This video really helped me. So everyone is different and you must find the way that works best for you.

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Yoda,

Thanks for the tip you sent me by PM. I am making my movement when seeing the "streak" vs. when seeing the actual bird. Your tip seems to have helped me out today during practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.