1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loser?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

What kind of a loser are you? Do you expect to lose the shoot even before you go to the line; there is going to be one WINNER and all the rest are the losers.

When you pack up to go home what are the feelings you are experiencing on your drive home. Do you justify it by thinking of all the shoters who were there whose scores were lower than yours, or that you shot your best score even though you didn't win, or that you never shoot good when the weather was like it was that day, or maybe there were too many distractions! Some may think, "Gee, I had fun today and saw all my friends, I never shoot to win anyway." Or do you say to yourself that next time you are going to do better and make a plan to improve your score.

People react differently to losing, I have seen a shooter after shooting poorly throw his gun as far as he could through his anger. I have seen people laugh about shooting poorly and say they do it all the time. E.A. Diddle former coach of the Western Ky Hilltopper basketball team said he hated "Happy Losers" and none of his players had better be happy when they lost!

There is nothing you can do about a lost target, getting angry about it is certainly a great way to miss another one. It's usually best to get even more focused on the next one, as some people say "Tighten Up" and think no more about your lost target until much later on your way home where you develop plans for working on that specific area of weakness. Losing affects shooters in two ways; one group just gives up the idea of ever winning, while others who hate to lose formulate ways in which they are going to shoot better. Which group do you choose? Biff

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I suggest that you concentrate on doing everything right. Then repeat until the event is completed. Then you will be a happy camper. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Biff - At a shoot, I am only shooting against myself. If I do a good job, I am a winner. If I happen to beat everyone else, that is OK but it is not my goal.

Pat Ireland

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Best advice I was ever given was "don't let one lost bird turn into two or three". If it is lost, it is gone. Dwell on it and you can have a really bad round.

First money shoot I ever entered playing all the options I missed the first bird. Remembering that advice I laughed it off and ran the next 49. Won everything but the long run from scratch.

Losers are losers because they choose to be. Winners are winners only if they are humble and gracious, otherwise they are jerks.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

It is you against the target. Remember, the target. I will repeat, the target. You got it? HMB

6. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

While I don't laugh at 'losing', I made a conscious decision not to take myself overseriously. The more I shot for enjoyment (regardless of score) the better my scores got...the better my scores got the more I enjoyed myself. Stupid game (LOL). Kind Regards-Graham.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb- You are right and I got it. But, how do I keep it on the line.

Pat Ireland

8. biff

biff Active Member

I shot games today....and lost, not only lost but usually had the lowest score. I only forgot to do 4 or 5 things correctly. I now know just how losers feel, PDB! Biff

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I try to forget a miss as soon is I see it,s a lost target . When you realize your shooting this game one target at a time 100 times you shoot better . (anyone can hit one target right ) You never will get a lost target back live with it . If you get angry you just lost . If you do get angry don,t throw your gun or shell try twenty doller Bills works better . (you will get over it fast ) Never count targets you pay to have that done for you . The guy next to you will not affect your score unless you let him . People run 100 straight with cheap guns it,s not the gun . Never be happy about losing BUT never be TOO HAPPY ABOUT WINNING . I only need to hear about how you did it four or five times thank you . Remember it,s only a game( Bull Shit ) it,s the only reason for living .

ALF

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Winners expect to win, and I win my share. I don't like losing but I'm not wealthy enuf' to throw a $4000 shotgun as far as I can heave it, so I just grumble a little and say to myself "that losin' $hit.....that ain't me, that was that little rascal sittin' up on my shoulder".

John C. Saubak

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Savage99Stan, the advice you received was great! "don't let one lost bird turn into two or three".

Most people experience a very negative thought process when that loss happens. I believe you can learn something from success as well as failure. Is there anything or way we might possibly do to turn that negative into a positive? Smoking a clay from any yardage re-enforces the positive data bank already stored in the gray matter, so smoke represents a positive. Figuring out how and why you lost that first target is the first step toward turning it into a positive. Leo Harrison has that ability to recall his mis-looked-pointed targets he may miss out of the 100! How does he do that? The only way possible in my view is he receives a picture or feedback when he fires his gun depending on how he sees his bird/bead relationship at that nano second. He then turns that negative into a positive! Learned, not loser, loser is a negative thought or that lil basturd on the shoulder!

Hap

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have never had a "bad" shoot some were just better than others. Shooting is like life don't dwell on your mistakes, learn from them and move on and up. Shooting is not a job, I have a job, shooting is fun. Am I cometitive, am I intense - you're damn right I am BUT when it is over it is over.

Shoot, have fun and shoot some more.

Don

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is a good subject. When you go to a shoot and register early do you notice the number of shooters that want a early squad for the Handicap which is usually shot last? That shows me that they don't expect to win anything and want to get in their targets and go home.

14. biff

biff Active Member

Dave, Good observation. I think most shooters know their limitations in Handicap, but of course they are hoping to shoot better than they usually do. Handicap is harder for most shooters because the distance is an illusion and the shot delivery timing is much more critical than for the singles. Waiting around all day to shoot and then shooting poorly makes the long drive home a much more unpleasant trip.

Glad you liked this thread, it is something which needs to be discussed.....not as to reinforce poor shooting habits, but to analyze ways in which we all can improve our shooting skills. Over 90% of all shooters fall in to the losers bracket at the end of each shoot, many will stay there but you have to have the desire and willingness to do whatever it takes to improve your scores. Biff

15. Rico52

Rico52 TS Member

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser! Trapshooting is about challenging one's self and or those around you. Being a good sportsman is a necessity in competition, excepting anything less than your best is not!
    That's why trapshooting is a competition. "Competition is defined as a rivalry between individuals, groups, or nations; two or more parties strive for a goal which cannot be shared; competition may give incentives for self-improvement."

Yes, you may shoot for fun but being human and fallable, ego plays a big part in all of us that trapshoot. All of us want to win but unfortunately not everyone can and most of us do not!

In competition, I always want to win but most of the times I do not! Even with that it doesn't detere me from practicing more or bearing down harder on the next competition. Competition and the drive to win is what pushes me from shoot to shoot and I suspect it's the same for most trapshooters!

Rick

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I am a winner when I can figure out why I lost and then take corrective measures. Therefore, I never consider myself a loser, because I don't give up until the problem is corrected.

And that's not JUST in trapshooting...

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Dave you wrote, This is a good subject. When you go to a shoot and register early do you notice the number of shooters that want a early squad for the Handicap which is usually shot last? That shows me that they don't expect to win anything and want to get in their targets and go home.

Actually is probably the exact opposite. You would want to shoot the last or even the second event as close to the time the sun is highest and at your back for best target clarity and opptimum scores.

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

One of the best instructors i know uses the folowing line , impress me with your low scores not your high ones. What he means is the consistant shooter is learning. The shooter who breaks 10 scores and they vary from say, 95s to 99s is more impressive than the shooter who breaks one 100 and the 92s and such even though the 2 shooters at the end of the year have the exact same average.Also the adage of 100 one bird events instead of a 100 bird event will help keep your head down. Jeff

19. psfive

psfive Member

I'm 51 years old and I will never be a 27 yard 25 straight shooter. However when I shoot I am shooting with my son and his friends from his trap team that I help coach. When I get shoot I am having a great time. Sometimes they let me think I can win. Thats just before they squash me. Any day with the kids is a good day. Paul

20. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Once you pull or release the trigger,which ever it may be, you will never be able to physically shoot that target again. Forget it! Concentrate on the next target. Forget about any and all your misses, focus on the next bird and remember that beautiful picture of successfully broken targets(AKA SMOKEBALLS)

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.