1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP'S and age

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tugboat, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

LOP

When I was younger I needed a 16" lop to shoot trap...Now that I am older, 67, I find the long stock is harder to manage, especially for sporting clays....Anyone else experience the same phenomenon?

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

As you age, you shrink. I used to be ~2" taller...your reach shrinks accordingly. Regards, Ed

3. 3357

3357 Member

My extremities are as long as they have ever been.

4. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

I'm 72 and I've been shooting 14 1/4 since 1956 as close as I can remember. Suck it up and shoot your gun.

Paul A. Bobby

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In 1970 I used a lop of 14 3/8. In 1980 I went down to 14". In the 90's I went to 13 1/2". In the year 2000 I was at 13.25". To day, I'm at 13".

If I live 10 more years I will probably be shooting with a pistol grip. Now that I think of it in 1970 I had a 44 inch chest. Today my chest is 56". Maybe that's the reason or the 100lbs I've gained since 1970?
    Steve Balistreri

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My doubles gun doesn't fit me very well since losing 150 lbs. I'm going to play with spacers and a new KickEez Rocker pad while I'm recovering from knee surgery over the next 2 months.

Ron Burr

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I pulled some rifles out of my safe that I had not used in many years. Discovered that the scopes were too far forward now. I could not crane my neck into them because of three fused cervical vertebrae (C5, C6 & C7).

In addition, for stocks that did not have a comb parallel to the bore, this required lowering the rings as well. This is because my head was further the rear of the stock, and because of the slope, this lowered it.

1885-22-250-223.jpg

This photo shows two of my Browning 1885 Single Shot High Wall rifles.

The top one is my 22-250 and the bottom is my 223. Both have Leupold 6.5-20x target scopes (one has an 8" sunshade).

Both guns are carefully lined up for the photo. The top rifle has the scope in its original position, which I used from the late 1980's up until 2001, the year my health seriously declined from near fatal pneumonia.

I pulled both rifles out of the back of the safe last fall, and discovered they no longer fit me. The LOP probably could be shortened, but the biggest issue is with the optics setup.

The bottom rifle has had the scope moved the rear and lowered. However, the original Browning(Burris) bases would not work. While the front base could be reversed, the rear base was not offset. I found that Leupold made a set that could be reversed to put the rear ring over the falling block, and that worked. I measured the change in position at one time, but forgot what it was. Atrthe same time the rings were changed from high to low. I prefer high rings for better point blank ranging, but my neck simply won't accommodate that. I have the rings to change the 22-250, but have not done so yet. Also need to change the mounts and rings on an 2885 in 25-06 as well.

Ultimately I would really like to have straight comb curved grip stocks made, but with a daughter in college that's a luxury.

If all goes well I hope to get these back into the varmint fields this year.

(BTW, the disectomy and cervical fusion was a year ago, and I have had no migraines since then. I was getting one to three disabling migraines a week.)

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have always shot 14"inch and 14 1/4" since I can remember, this length gives me what I need for the hard angles.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Hey Ron, congrats on losing 150 lb. How are we gonna recognize you at Claresholm next Saturday.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have since about 1962 had to lengthen trap stocks about 1 inch to keep from getting hit in the nose. I'm about 5'9"--- 150#s,& 72 y.o. neck must be too long?? When I try to shoot a "normal" length stock after 2 or 3 shots I have an unconscious tendency to push the gun away from my shoulder, resulting in the scorekeeper saying that NASTY 4 letter word even MORE often. Ross Puls

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Ron:
    Congratulations on the weight loss. That is one of the hardest things I have ever had to face. Sorry to say, in my case, it's a losing battle as I have lost and gained the same 100lbs for a # of years.
    Steve Balistreri

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use to be 6'2" now I'm a little under 6'1." I had to shorten my LOP about 1/2." Age I guess, limbs are getting shorter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.