1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KF9VH, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

What is better for trap shooting longer LOP (14.5+) or shorter (< 14.5)? It seems the sporting clays guys like it longer for some reason.

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The only "good" LOP is what works for you. Just because someone else has a shorter or longer LOP for a given sport does not mean that is what you should do. Have the gun fitted, or work it out using good guidelines in publications, but use the LOP that works for you. Different guns, even, may need different LOPs for you. My Beretta trap gun works best for me at a 14 1/4 inch LOP, but my 3200 skeet gun works best for me at 14 inch LOP.

Jim R

3. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

I learned something about length of pull on Sat. My trap gun is 15 1/4 inches
    LOP. I got a chance on Sat to shoot a .500 Jeffries rifle with a low powered scope. LOP about 14 inches. With this combination I found bleeding from above my eye to be a side effect of touching this bad boy off. Those scope rings are sharp!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One thing for sure, you need a winter LOP and a summer LOP. HMB

5. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

Or just adjust the grip on the forend inwards for us without LOP adjustment?

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Or you can have a winter recoil pad and a summer recoil pad. HMB.

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

LOP seems like it would be a simple stock dimensions to figure out. It is not. Both the elements of shooting form and other stock dimensons are involved in the choice of correct LOP.

The things that affect LOP for each shooter are the stance that is used (how directly targets are faced), the height of the gun mount (a low mount requires a shorter LOP) along with the length of the shooter's neck, his or her shoulder width and how well the drop at the heel dimension fits the shooter (how crooked the stock is).

The separation of the nose and thumb is the common way used to check the LOP with about 1.5" judged to be good for trap shooting. (With a solid and consistent gun mount and the correct pitch on the stock, that dimensions can be reduced slightly.)

Rollin

8. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

Rollin,
    Just curious...why would you need a shorter LOP if you shoot from the gun down position? I understand that your gun may hang up during the mounting process..is there any other reason?......thanks, Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

14 inch lop beretta

beretta lop

longer lop for trap

lop for skeet

lop trap shooting

skeet lop

what lop for a shooter

what would be good lop 14