1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

LOP is dependent on a number of things - the height of the gun mount, your stance (how directly you face targets) to name two.

The common criterion for LOP is the distance between the nose and thumb with the gun mounted. There should be about 1.5" between the second knuckle of your trigger-hand thumb and your nose.

Then it gets a bit complicated: Your head and neck should be natural and erect when you shoot. Tilting your head forward or down to place your cheek on a gun's comb should not be necessary. Part of that is affected by the height of your gun mount. It is best if an inch or so of the recoil pad extends above your collarbone (to aid in keeping your head upright).

LOP is a stock dimension but it relates to shooting form, in this case, body (head,neck) posture and your gun mount.

Rollin

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

For me, my lop changes on different style & make of guns for some reason.
    Steve Balistreri

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The "correct" LOP is the one that is right for you. There is no set LOP that works for everyone, or even for most. In fact, as some noted, comfortable LOP may well vary for different guns. The most comfortable LOP for my Remington 3200, for me, is 14 inches. But for my Beretta trap combo, the "correct" LOP for me is 14 3/8 inches. For my Beretta 391, it is 14 1/8 inches. Lots of variable here. Comb shape, thickness, stock design, drop measurements, etc. All affect what LOP will work best for a particular gun. You have to find what works for you. As also noted, one way to check this is that you want to have 1-1 1/2 inches between your thumb and cheek when the gun is mounted, but this is only a rough way of measuring. It is very unlikely that your gun seller has the knowledge and expertise to properly advise on gun fit. This is best done by a professional fitter. But to start, you need to find what is comfortable, what aids your swing, etc. Depends on shooting style, stance, neck length, your build, how you hold, and lots of other issues. Remember, factory guns have dimensions designed for the mythical "average" person, which in truth, describes very few of us.

Find a gun that "fits" you comfortably. Then alter as necessary. If you can, get professional help to fit the stock properly for you. If you can't get a pro, then look into any one of several good books on proper stock fitting needs.
    A properly fitted stock will make all the difference in the world in your ability to shoot a particular gun well.

Jim R

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I agree with JimRich60 My length of pull is different on different Trapguns.
    From 14"inches to 14 1/2" I am going to fit an additional 1/4"inch spacer to my gun after this post.

One step further a gun with a lot of down pitch for me must be cut to ZERO pitch and then I measure the LOP may have to add a spacer or shorten the stock more for mproper LOP.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doubles and bunker usually require a little bit shorter stock than singles for me.. On those my nose (beak..lol) usually almost touches my thumb.. It puts me faster to the target.. I bury my face in the stock.. On singles.. I probably have almost 2" between my thumb and my nose.. Now.. my right arm is 2" shorter than my left..due to an injury.. My doubles gun is 13 7/8".. my singles gun is 14 3/8"

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

TreeFrog,

Congratulations on your decision to move UP...

Gun Fit is by far the single most important aspect of this game both in terms of proficiency and enjoyment. I strongly recommend you have an adjustable butt plate and a good quality recoil pad installed on whatever gun you choose. A butt plate with an adjustable LOP is particularly beneficial because you will be able to adjust the LOP, height and Toe in/out as needed through each season. Money well spent!

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

"Length of pull" and its associated measurements go completely out the window if your gun has an adjustable trigger shoe. It allows you to change the position of the trigger (one end of the LOP measurement) by up to 1/2" but no part of your body moves relative to the gun except the end of your finger.

MK

8. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rick...

Put an adjustable butt plate on that gun and you'll be able to put the ENTIRE pad in your shoulder pocket...less felt recoil and more consistent gun mount.
    If you're mounting the gun with the recoil pad OVER the top of your shoulder YOUR GUN DOES NOT FIT YOU!

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just finished cutting and fitting a 1/4"inch spacer for my CG it is now
    14 1/4 in"LOP, it feels a little better now we need to ee how well I shoot the next Hdcp.

Plan on going to the TRI STATE SHOOT in Wellsburg West Virginia and shoot the Calcutta on Monday's Hdcp.

Hope to see a lot of you there. My old friend from Florida Karl Mayhew always came to the WVA state shoot but has passed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

To quote Rick Barker: "To my thinking, proper gun fit is when the gun does not hurt you and it is shooting where you are looking."

The longer I spend in this game, and the more I shoot, the more I believe the above pretty much says it all.

bluedsteel

11. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rick,

No question you've got the objective correct, i.e., "the gun doesn't hurt and it shoots where you look". No one can argue with success, but I have to take issue with your advise to a relatively new shooter that is looking for direction on gun fit.

It seems to me that your over the shoulder gun mount may be providing a more "heads up" posture which improves your field of view. That is a good thing, but that can be achieved without contorting your mount. A higher comb might help you achieve that without having to mount your pad above your shoulder pocket.

I don't like an "adjust-o-matic" trap gun because I think there is a tendency for many shooters to "fiddle" with the settings, however, there are legitimate reasons to adjust LOP, such as seasonal changes, that make the ability to do so a benefit without having to change the thickness of the pad or cut the stock.

12. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

right on, Steve

13. 20yard

20yard TS Member

First Rollin's book was one of my first purchases when I started trap shooting 3 years ago and wanted to understand what all this gun fit talk was about, the book does a very nice job of expalining and providing some gun stock history that is entertaining.
    Now I've been shooting olympic trapthis past year in europe and there all the guys try to change my approcah to rolling the head forward on the staock and really pulling the gun hard to the shoulder, as BigBorePerazzi says above makes you quicker to the target. Why is that so? I understood the propensity for lower ribs and flat shooting guns may drive for a difference but i heard it makes you quicker from everyone, so how so?

14. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Thought you gents might enjoy this. Pretty good explaination on pitch and fit.

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I don't think it is as simple as many think. I am talking about the various "gospel truths" that are bandied about, including, but not limited to:

1) "Raising your comb will raise your point of impact."

Maybe.

2) "Lowering the front of your adjustable rib or raising the rear of it will raise your point of impact."

Maybe

3) "Adding cast-off/cast-on will move your point of impact left or right".

Maybe

etc....etc...

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how one looks at it) it is not that simple. If it was, most all of us would be AA27AA.

There are a slew of other factors that affect your point of impact, or "where your gun shoots", also including, but not limited to:

1. Where you put your head on the stock, and where it stays.
    2. Your swing speed.
    3. Your swing smoothness.
    4. When and where you start to move your gun to the target.
    5. Your vision, (focus, dominance, cross-dominance, shifting dominance, etc).
    6. Your mental processing of visual cues.
    7. Your hold point over/on/below the trap house.

And on and on...

If trapshooting was a bench-rest sport, then "benching" your gun for point of impact would be very useful. It is of some value, but not as much as some might lead you to believe.

I'll say it again, as others have said, find a gun (or adjustment) that doesn't hurt you when you fire the gun, and gets the gun shooting pretty close to where you are looking...and then figure out how to break targets from there.

It is not an easy task to master. Few have.

bluedsteel

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The "GunsAmerica Forum" link returns an error message for me. The forum has no search feature.

Where in the forum can the linked resource be found?

MK

17. wannagolden

wannagolden Member

Try this

18. wannagolden

wannagolden Member

When you get the error message, click where it says try again, worked for me