1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP To long or short?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

What do you think? My gun is 14 3/8 LOP But don't feel right unless I pull it reel tight against my sholder, some say cut the stock others say add to it.
    Any rule of thumb? Butch H

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Is your thumb an inch from your nose when you pull it up, or after you pull it in tight to your shoulder?

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

For me...good question. After 40 plus years of trapshooting, I'm thinking my LOP has always been too long. Maybe the reason why hard lefts from post 1 have always been the only problem targets for me from 16 and 27 yards.

Looking forward to opinions and maybe the correct way of determing correct LOP.

milt

4. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Two weeks ago I took a friend of mine to CG over on Marylands Eastern Shore. The gunsmith there dry fitted him to the gun. He looked at the way he mounted the gun. It turned out that he pushed the gun out and away from his body to shoulder the gun. To long a LOP. After the gun was mounted he looked at his right arm. He wanted his right elbo at a 90 degree angle or lose to it. After that he looked at the space between his thumb and face. I know ABSOLUTLY nothing about stock fitting, just passing along what I observed.......Dan.

5. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK, maybe it is to long, my wife just measured it at 2" is 1" the norm? Thanks Butch H

6. racer

racer TS Member

Butch, length of pull isn't the most critical part of stock fit. Not seeing the lefts correctly is the problem. If you decide to shorten the stock go slow- maybe an 1/8" at a time. A little cut goes along way for some reason. Good luck- Dan

7. Setterman

Ask some people at your club if they have old pads of varying thickness laying around. You can remove your pad and tape other pads on with duct or freezer tape. Or find a thin pad and just keep adding spacers till you don't bump your nose with recoil.

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

It seems the real good shooters that I've seen really like the stocks short. Like with their thumb right in their face. Anybody else notice this? I'm talking about the guys that sell dvd's. Bill

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You can get different thickness Kick-Eez pads to see what works better. Why do you think the legth is wrong in the first place?

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My rule of thumb is, what ever feels comfortable, as you will know what the correct lop for you is real quick. I am down to 13 inches and I feel that I have a lot more control of my gun now. I have always used velcro on determining lop.

I take the original pad off the gun and use different pads of various thickness. I then place velcro on the butt stock, and a piece of velcro on each pad, rather than screw the pads down on the gun itself.

It takes a lot less time and energy and this can be done easily while shooting, as each pad will not come off the stock unless you actually pull it off.
    Steve Balistreri

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

One inch max is about right. If you get a bloody nose..its too short.

12. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I wish some of our guys would get their wives or friend to take a closeup pic of what the gun looks like against their cheek when mounted.

A pic is worth a thousand words and we could get a comparison that we could relate too...and see what really works for others.

I think my gun's lop is too long too....but I'm leary of cutting a fitted stock.

Best rergards...Stan

13. Setterman

1" - 1 1/2" seams to be the common dimension. However, some shooters are "neck stretchers", especially during the stress of an event. Shoot quite a few rounds before cutting a stock. Length can be added with thicker pads, spacers, or even an adjustable RAD or GraCoil, but a thin pad is the safe way to shorten your LOP till you're sure it's right.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Really LOP is the least important of all the measurements- unless it is wrong

You have a "sweet spot" that is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 to work with

You dont want to hit your nose and you dont want to be so exagerated on your gunstock pressure so as to cause you to lift your head in dynamic motion ( ie when you swing)

Most big guys have lop way too long-- why? because of their ego

The most critical determining factor on LOP? The length of your neck

Be a 350 pounder with no neck and you might have a 13 inch LOP= where the 5'7 skinny guy next to him might have a 15 inch LOP

Regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There isn't one set of numbers to reliably go by on proper stock length fit for everyone. Length of neck, thickness and shape of shoulder pockets, width of shoulders are all different.

The distance the nose winds up from the thumb depends on other variable's also and not a good indicator of a proper stock length at all! Head tilted forward or more upright? Comb height and body type determines the distance the nose is from the thumb??????

I wrote a blog piece on stock length over on itrapshooter.com. Take a peek at that too and let me know what you think? You can post question, replies or opinion there also.

To those saying that stock length isn't an important part of stock fit? Prove it with consistent recorded scores with varying stock lengths? That just ain't gonna happen day in and day out in trap shooting looking for consistency.

Hap

16. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Try shooting your gun without the recoil pad. This is the time of the year to do it (if you live in the mid-west or north-east). It will let you see what a 1" shorter stock (in most cases) feels like without cutting the wood.

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

One thing I've noticed is it makes a difference what gun your shooting also.I began shooting a Browning sporting Clay gun.Got LOP comfortable at 13 7/8.Bought a BT99 ,figured I should set the lop the same.It was set at 14 1/4,removed a spacer to get it to 14",a little closer to what I thought it should be.Boy,did my scores drop after that,put spacer back in and scores came back up.Go figure,but thats the way it happened for me.Made me a believeer in trying a gun and working with it individually,not jumping to preconceived conclusions.

Doug H.(pa)

18. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

So who are the recommended professionals who will work with you and your stock on this type of an issue ?

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lou- the LOP varies by which gun you are shooting- it isnt the same on each gun because there are so many other stock dimensions to include thickness of stock- template of butt, cast, height of comb, pitch- and one of the more important is grip distance and curvature

The LOP is really the least critical of any of those and you have that range of maybe 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches- you can figure that out yourself

But you always hear people talk about LOP because they dont really have any idea of stock fit at all

The best investment is usually an adjustable comb

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Gene,

Thanks for responding to my question. I don't mean to jack the thread, but I often hear about professionals who will build a custom stock to your dimensions. I would like to find a professional who would work with me and my family to make sure our equipment is set up properly for fit . I'm in the Pacific Northwest .

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.