1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

How do I determine what LOP is best for me? Is there a system for determining LOP or is it just "what works best for me"?

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Tom,

LOP is tied to a shooter's stance (how directly targets are faced when shot), the height of the gun mount used (with the heel of the recoil pad on the collarbone [best] or below the collarbone [not as good[) and the posture used by the shooter (upright with the head and neck in a normal position or with the head and/or neck leaned or tilted forward with the problems this posture is likely to introduce).

To use the above elements of the shooting form however, your stock's dimensions must allow it. Stock dimensions often determine the shooting form that can be used.

The usual check for LOP is the distance between the second knuckle of the thumb and the nose or shooting glasses. A distance of 1.0 to 1.5 inches is the usual recommendation.

What works best for you is a somewhat problematic way of judging the best LOP. If your stock dimensions allow it, an upright (natural) shooting posture is best for all shooting disciplines).

Rollin

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin- Question about the heel of pad on the collar bone (clavicle). If I put the heel of the pad on my collarbone, well over one half of the pad is extended well above my shoulder.

Pat Ireland

4. Rollin Oswald

Pat,

Quote: "Rollin- Question about the heel of pad on the collar bone (clavicle). If I put the heel of the pad on my collarbone, well over one half of the pad is extended well above my shoulder."

How can that be? The heel is the top of the butt or recoil pad. Your clavicle is near the top of your shoulder. Putting the heel on your clavicle will put most of the pad below the clavicle, which is below the top of your shoulder; therefore, most of the pad will also be below the top of your shoulder.

Rollin

5. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Rollin, he must be trick shooting with the gun upside down!

6. Rollin Oswald

We all have 'off' days. (BTDT)

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.