1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Sep 11, 2013.

1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

How do I determine what LOP is correct for me?

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You are going to get a variety of answers here, but from what I have read LOP is almost about personal preference. I say almost because if it is to short or too long you will have mounting issues. However, if you are talking about fractions of an inch then go with what feels good to you when you mount and shoot.

I just had a thread titled Keeping your head down and we discussed a little about this. I am 6'5" and my LOP is just shy of 15". However there are some shorter than me with a LOP over 15". It's all about comfort and mounting. If you can play with the LOP and see what works for you.

Bryan

3. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Well they say you are suppose to look at a given point and close your eyes and mount the gun now without crawling end up 2 to 3 finger widths away from your thumb with your nose. How can that be without crawling a little?

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

It's two fingers length's from your thumb to your face.
    Look at any photo of the all Americans, and you will see
    how close their face is to their hand. Go to You Tube and you'll
    find several video's on gun fit.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am 5'11" and 220lbs and I shoot 14"LOP and have been shooting it for 25 years now, my sleeve length is 33" neck is 16" wear x-large shirts.

Too long you will short shoot angles, too short nose gets bumped and over swing angles.

This is a try it yourself using spacers between Recoil pad and stock, I also shoot a Zero Pitch gun.

No stock hitting my face or cheek.

Takes a good stock fitter here, I like 1/2"inch castoff for RH shooter and an adjustable comb to get my sight picture 4-way adj. comb.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. jmunsell

Examine the video above and it says two fingers from the nose. If it was from the face you would get yourself a fat nose every time you went out shooting. However how the heck can this be achieved without crawling a little?

7. Calkidd

I don't have evidence to back this up, but I have read and been told the 2-3 inches or fingers from the nose is not a correct way to figure out what LOP you should use. But again this is only speculation and not fact. Just sayin.

Bryan

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Tom,

The correct LOP puts your nose just far enough behind your thumb to prevent the two unexpectedly meeting during recoil.

The separation distance can vary widely between shooters. Examples: If you shoot a shotgun like a rifle, with your shoulders nearly aligned with the direction you are shooting it takes a longer stock to keep the nose and thumb separated.

Mounting your gun low on your shoulder is likely to require a longer stock because, when you lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb, that lean requires stock length to keep the nose and thumb separated.

The same is true if you have a long neck accompanied by a stock with an inadequate drop at the heel dimension. That dimension describes the distance between the top of the recoil pad (heel) below the rib.

The inadequate drop at the heel requires the neck to be leaned forward, which requires a longer stock.

Rollin

9. Calkidd

You want to know anything about stock fitting listen to Rollin and Neil period.

Bryan

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If you don't forward your head on stock (Crawling) like we see in the Olympics,
    [​IMG]

you'll end up shooting a stock looks like this:
    [​IMG]

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Heads up might be OK, but not if your floaters are in the middle!!

12. jmunsell

Now that one heck of a Monte Carlo Steve. Oh and you would have a 10" LOP to get the correct distance from your thumb. Hahaha.