1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP - Long and Short of it

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsatem, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsatem

shootsatem TS Member

Recently returned my O/U to the mfg. because the forearm splintered.
    It has a Gracoil with adjustable LOP.

Borrowed an exact model to finish out a doubles league and shot better
    than usual.

The gun on loan has not had any adjustments (as is from factory). The LOP
    on my gun was shortened for me by a stock fitter and is much more comfortable to shoot than the borrowed gun.

Any ideas out there as to why I shot the uncomfortable LOP (feels too long)
    gun better?

Could mine be too short? Didn't measure either LOP, so I don't have the dimensions...

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While there are many possible reasons to have shot the borrowed gun better, a likely reason is that is was a borrowed or different gun than your own. Even though it was the same model, it was not your gun, thus was "different" It is not at all unusual to shoot a new or different gun better for a short time. This is a well known phenomena, and is probably because the shooter sub-conciously pays more attention to form and technique with a new/different gun, hence better scores. After a shorter or longer time, they get used to the new gun, and fall back into their "normal" shooting techniques and modes. LOP can, of course, affect the "shootability" of any gun for any particular individual and may have contributed to improvements, but if your own gun was "fitted" to you, I would think this unlikely. Of course, it really depends on whether your own gun was professionally fitted by a knowledgeable person/stock maker, or just a local smith, friend, or someone else who determined the "proper" gun fit and LOP for you.

Jim R

3. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

With yours being adjustable you can measure the loaner and experiment. It may be the new gun phenomena like jimrich said or your shooting style might be better suited to a bit longer LOP. Remember one round doesn't tell much. It might take weeks to get comfortable with any changes.

4. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Was it a parallel stocked gun? , If not the longer LOP would of provided a greater drop at the comb because your face placement was further back. Also with a longer stock your initial move to the target will be a little slower as more of the mass is further from your body possible giving your eyes just a little more time to focus if you may be shooting to fast with your gun.

5. shootsatem

shootsatem TS Member

Both guns are Win. Select Energies, both with adjustable combs, mine adjusted upward and the loaner in the all-the-way down position. Both are sporting clays models. I have patterned mine and it shoots pretty much where I'm looking.

The stock fitter whom I used is a professional.

Another thought is that the loaner shoots flatter with no adjustments to the comb and I'm not particularly fast on the second shot and possibly shooting over top of the second target on doubles with my gun.

Thanks for the responses...

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

POI is very impotant in a doubles gun. When you get yours back, compare the two at the patterning board for POI of each barrel. HMB

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Maybe you just had a good day.

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The sporting clays version and even the trap version of the Select Energy does not have a parallel comb on the factory adjustable comb model. So changing the lop has an affect on the poi, shortening the stock should cause it to shoot higher maybe even highter than the raised comb on your longer stock. But as others have said it could be that a different gun caused you to focus more, it works if you have a positive attitude. Some of my friends used to change something minor on purpose before an important shoot, called it "trick of the day", certainly worked for them.

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

K O says something like 90% of shooters shoot too long an LOP. He says too short is better than too long.

10. elmo

elmo Member

I always shoot a borrowed gun alot better than my own. The way to correct this is to buy the borrowed gun. Only then will it start to shoot like s&#+ like your other guns.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

LOL clayman, I have seen it happen many times. Try a gun, shoot it well and buy it, and the death spiral begins.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.