Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOP is it a big deal?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Gary Waalkes 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how important an exact length of pull is to shooting success. As long as your thumb isn't banging into your nose and you can reach the trigger without strain, what's the dynamic. I used to shoot a 15" lop and thought it was perfect, I bought a new gun with just under 14 1/2 and it feels just fine. Shooting pretty much same scores. gyrine

#2 ·
It's a good idea to keep the LOP the same year round. In the warm weather I use a thick butt pad and in the cold weather I use a thin butt pad to make up for the thickness of the clothing I am wearing.

The LOP influences how smoothly and how fast you can move the gun to the target. HMB

#3 ·
The length of pull influences how you mount the gun. Proper, and consistent gun mount is important. You can change the point of impact by changing the way you mount the gun. It is also easy to lift your head when the gun is mounted properly, but it is much easier to do this when the gun is mounted improperly.

Pat Ireland

#5 ·
I coach youth trap shooting here in Nebraska and LOP is very important with beginning or young shooters. To many times I see kids struggling to control the gun and still be able to reach the trigger. Most parents don't want to spend any real money on gun fit until they see if their child likes the sport. Loaner guns are hard to come by with liability what it is. Kids love to shoot my guns since they are fit for a guy with gorilla arms (still short though) but it make the game a lot more fun when the gun is easy to control. Just my cents worth. IMHO YMMV Omaha

#6 ·
I coach youth trap shooting here in Nebraska and LOP is very important with beginning or young shooters. To many times I see kids struggling to control the gun and still be able to reach the trigger. Most parents don't want to spend any real money on gun fit until they see if their child likes the sport. Loaner guns are hard to come by with liability what it is. Kids love to shoot my guns since they are fit for a guy with gorilla arms (still short though) but it make the game a lot more fun when the gun is easy to control. Just my cents worth. IMHO YMMV Omaha

#8 ·
It is extremely important to me. I have added as little as 1/8" to stocks before. I find if a stock is to short I tend to have a sensation of throwing the gun at the target. To long and one becomes hindered with a smooth move on angles. That said, I have found that different guns need different lengths for me to feel and move comfortably.

You find majority of good shooters desire exact length of fit...

#7 ·
It is extremely important to me. I have added as little as 1/8" to stocks before. I find if a stock is to short I tend to have a sensation of throwing the gun at the target. To long and one becomes hindered with a smooth move on angles. That said, I have found that different guns need different lengths for me to feel and move comfortably.

You find majority of good shooters desire exact length of fit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.