1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP how do you figure it

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rando, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rando

rando TS Member

my daughter is a small young lady 4'10' 85lb. is starting to shot trap with me but all shotguns tried so far are not fitting properly mostly because stock is to long I am going to buy her a new gun soon I would like to be a bit more knowledgeable when shopping thanks randy

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Measurement on the gun is made from the trigger to the back end of the recoil pad or butt plate, in the middle (top to bottom.)

If you're trying to see what it "should" look like, have her mount the gun (properly) and see how much space there is between the tip of her nose and the back of her thumb. Should be about 1" to 1-1/2".

3. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

RANDO: Consider a Browning BT 99 Micro. single barrel trap gun. This is a smaller gun designged for smaller shooters. Browning also offers a plan that allows Bt 99's to be traded up to larger models as the shooter grows in size.
    Check out Browning's web site. Dave Hunt

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Forget about measuring from the trigger to the butt pad and simply use the thumb/nose relationship.

Guns with front-rear adjustable trigger shoes can change the trigger-to-butt pad dimension more than 1/2" and not change anything of significance except the curl of the finger on the trigger.

MK

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Rando, My wife is small 5'3" 105. She wanted a break open gun (simpler to operate) that was not "tippy" in her words (muzzle heavy). I bought her an older 32" BT-99 and had it cut off to a 13.5 LOP which is 1/4" shorter than the micro. This is a pretty economical way to go.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think it'd make more sense to measure from the back of the trigger guard rather than from the trigger. Yeah......I know that's not the way it's done but that's the way it SHOULD be done, IMO

John C. Saubak

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Randy,

How well the gun you buy for your daugheter fits her will affect how well she can shoot it, how quickly she will improve, the recoil she experiences and generally, how much fun she will have shooting it.

You are wise to consider the length of the stock but if you buy your daughter a gun with a stock designed for a man, its length will be only one of her problems when she shoots it. The grip will be too large, both in circumference and radius, the distance from the inside of the grip to the trigger, which will prevent her pulling back on the trigger. (She will have to pull up on it, which will create shot-timing problems and require her to pull harder.)

The comb on the stock will also be at the wrong height for her - the receiver or action will likely block her view of the rib when her cheek is making snug contact with the comb. The position of the comb (drop at the comb) is a very important stock dimension because it positions the eye relative to the rib and that is one of the keys to successful shooting.

Buying a gun with a stock that has a short LOP like a youth stock is my recommendation. It may not fit your daughter well but it will fit her a lot better than a gun designed for a 6' 10" 160 pound man with a shortened stock.

Gun weight along with barrel length are things to consider. The heavier the gun/longer the barrel, the less will be the felt recoil. However, more strength is required to shoot heavier guns. The amount she will shoot will also be involved. A longer day of shooting will lead to greater fatigue.

Have her mount the gun you are considering and watch her weight distribution. If she shifts most of her weight to her back foot, the gun is probably too heavy for her. (Shooting like this will invite recoil to her cheek.)

I suggest you consider a gas operated semi auto with a 26" or 28" barrel depending on how much she is likely to grow.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.