1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP Effects?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hey guys: I have a question. I recently purchased a KS-5 Special and felt the gun's LOP was too short. (14 1/4") I am 6'1 and felt I should have a LOP of around 14 3/4" + . My Beretta 682 O/U has a LOP of 14 1/2" and I shoot that well. Well I installed a new pad and spacer and had a LOP of 14 3/4". I can't hit $hit with the gun. I experimented with the comb adjustment, rib adjustment and still am having a hell of a time with it. (Missing mostly straight away targets) I patterned the gun and it seems to pattern about 80/20. I now returned the gun to its original LOP of 14 1/4'. I should add that I shot the gun for 50 rounds when it had the 14 1/4" LOP and hit 49X50. However, I can't be satisfied with anything and lengthened the LOP . This due to my "pea brain" thinking that I needed the extra length. Hopefully Saturday I can go out to the range and try again with the 14 1/4" setting. Now here is the million dollar question; can the LOP affect the POI ? I just have a hard time believing that it would. It seems that I am shooting high on the targets. Thanks. Ed

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

ED, ED ,EDDD, EDDDD, EEDDDD. You shot 49 out of 50 with this gun shooting it for the first time, and you felt that you had to change things! I would think lengthening the LOP would make you miss straight away targets below them. Just makes it harder to follow through on a rising target. Having the gun farther out from your body. IMO.

I have a 14 5/8" LOP on mine, and I am 6'0". I have a 48" chest and 34" shirt length arms. As long as your thumb is not hitting you in the nose when you shoot, you should be good.

Nice gun by the way. Where did you get the KS-5? Jon

3. esoxhunter

Jon: PM sent.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed.... This subject has come up several times on this site. In trapshooting it is not necessary to have a "balanced" gun, ie; one that balances on the hinge pin. While it is important in skeet and sporting clays when shooting from a gun down position, it is not necessary in trap since you start from a mounted stance. The most important thing is having a stable platform when shooting. Many shooters prefer a barrel heavy gun while others prefer a stock heavy gun. If your gun feels whippy to you, try some lead tape on the barrel just in front of the forend. This will slow down the swing, depending on the amount of tape you use. Once you find the sweet spot for you, you can purchase a barrel weight from Angleport, or you can add lead to your forend. I prefer a stock heavy gun with just enough barrel weight to maintain the swing to the target with the barrel. A lot of times it's just trial and error until you find just the right feel for you. I believe it is better to have a LOP that is a little long over a LOP that is too short.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

ED I am 6ft tall, and have 34"inch sleeve length and I shoot 14" LOP and my thumb does not hit me in the nose. I shoot a balanced gun at the hinge pin, have done this to all my guns over the years, to me it smooootttthhhheess the gun out going at angles.

But I shoot a POI of 120% which intreperts to 18" to 20" inches high for me.

If you were breaking your angles good w/ 14 1/4" inch LOP you are probably shooting under your straight-aways as you are seeing them quicker and pulling or releasing the trigger before you get to the target.

My KX-5s I had I cut the stocks and installed a recoil pad to get 14" LOP and I installed the highest shooting Bbl Hanger from Kreighoff.

I owned numerous KX-5s over the years actually owned one 3 times.

For me a balanced gun handles the best as the center of the weight is between your hands.

To me a gun should be short enough that your thumb does not hit your nose, for mr that distance is about 1/2-3/4" of an inch. Too long you short shoot angles, to short you over run your angles.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. esoxhunter

I went back to the LOP that was on the gun when I purchased it. It re-measured it and it is 14 3/8". Saturday I'm gonna give it a try again. With an adjustable rib, an adjustable comb and an adjustable pad; it makes one want to drink. Soooo I guess I'll make me a manhattan. Thanks for the info. Ed

7. plux001

plux001 Member

Ed, you are getting some really good advice here...probably took many of these guys (including me) years to figure it out. I never was able to consistently shoot good scores until I got the lop right. As I watch other shooters, I believe most have too long a lop. Trap is all about smooth control. If your head is too far back on the stock, you will be inconsistent. I am one of those guys who for years shot a gun that didn't fit. Yup, I learned how to shoot it, but just couldn't get consistently good scores. You will be shocked at the difference even 1/8 inch makes...

Now, you are going to freak when your beautiful, factory stock is cut. But it's your gun, so make it fit!!! You won't regret it. Here's how I did it. Take the pad off and shoot it. At least 400 rounds (not all in the same day). Keep careful note of how you are shooting and how the stock feels. Pay attention to where your face/nose is relative to your thumb. Watch as many videos as you can of the top shooters and see where THEY fit their gun. Things will begin to make sense. If you think you need more length, add a 1/8 spacer and go shoot a bunch more. Keep on doing this until your face/eyes hit the stock perfectly and the same each time. Then decide the thickness pad you want and you will know how much to cut. Make it fit. Trust me on this....

Paul

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A gun with a stock to long for your mount and movement typically causes one to short shoot a target. Iam surprised that you think the opposite is happening. What could be happening is that your placing your cheek farther back on the stock which would effect the POI to some degree.

For the record. Iam 6'1" with 35" sleeves and my guns are 15.5". Its said that I should actually be using a longer LOP with my style and mount. This is by experts but the length mentioned is what feels and moves for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poi effects of short lop

will shorter lop affect poi