1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOP Confusion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ms_yuan, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I currently own a Browning XT, and I've had the stock cut to 14" and it seems to fit well. The distance between my nose and right thumb is within 1-2 inches, the gun feels comfortable, and I shoot well with it.

However, I've been trying other guns, such as a Kolar Max T/A and T/S, and their LOP is 14.7 -- yet I'm comfortable to shoot those guns, again, the distance between nose and thumb is within 1-2 inches. What gives? I think I recall the fit of the XT before I had the stock cut (it was 14 5/8"), and it was noticeably long. Am I just gobsmacked by the high-end gun and not paying attention? I mean, that 5/8" really made a difference on the Browning -- why doesn't the Kolar feel wickedly long at 14.7"??

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If a stock keeps your neck more straight up, you'll feel it's longer.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The way LOP is measured makes it pretty much useless as a reference. It's common to measure LOP from the trigger curl to the butt pad. Dumb! On a Browning XT you can change the LOP 1/2" just by moving the trigger shoe through its range of adjustment and no part of your body will move except the tip of your finger. Nothing else changes!

MK

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Check to see if you are moving the butt further out on your shoulder to adjust for the extra stock length. Most people can compensate for a non fitting stock for a round or two BUT the problems really start to show up after you get tired or target conditions are less than perfect. If you feel like you are worn out after shooting 100 targets then the fit is probably not correct for you.

--- Chip King ---

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The style of the reciever and the fit of the wood, are all determining factors.
    I also shoot a 14" LOP on my CG, and on a Seitz, and K-80.

GB
    DLS

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That nose to thumb thing is a crock o crap. Shooters adapt themselves to whatever length and call it a good fit, if they can get a little space between the thumb and nose? Like other stock measurements, length is important for shooting consistent scores. Several of the stock makers build a stock that includes a proper length, some don't know how or care either as long as they sell a set of wood. Is it any wonder if takes so many thousands of targets to get to that point? There's a lot of mis-information out there on stock length and how to get it right for each person, in my opinion!

Hap

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

One way to determine if the stock is too long is if you feel bound up swinging on hard right targets (if you are right handed). I know that if the stock has a monte carlo affect with a high comb then generally you will need a shorter length of pull, at least I did. Also, if you get the length of pull set up and then move the adjustable comb up then the pull probably should be shortened. As with anything else there are no set rules on L.O.P. adjustments. Shoot what is comfortable and stick with it, if it feels right then it probably is. Nobody can tell you how the gun feels when you shoot it. Especially a stock maker! I made the mistake by going to a well known stock maker that wouldn't listen to me. What I got was a stock that I couldn't shoot to save my life. Just because he thought that he knew it all!

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I had a friend that passed away that ordered a stock from a stock maker that has also passed away build him a stock for his K-80. It did not fit him, nor could he shoot it.

Joe Hartman of Zanesville was the gun owner, and Brent Umberger was the stock maker, after that Joe Called him Dumberger, Joe told him his measurements he wanted and Brent kept saying I know what you want.

Joe paid him anyway.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

LOP is not a critical measurement. Drop At Comb is much more important. Still, a stock that is too long will make your swing more clumsy. A stock that is too short will bash your nose with your thumb from recoil.

The 1"-2" between thumb, and nose is just a starting place. Any real stock fitter would work with you to find the right set up that helps you hit more targets.

One reason you may feel more comfortable with the Kolar is the balance. The XT is a muzzle heavy gun. So, even with a longer stock, the Kolar will feel like it swings easier. It also could be the cast. Kolar makes their stocks a little cast off, but the XT is straight. The straight stock will need a shorter LOP to fit the same as one that is cast off.

10. DitzMan

DitzMan TS Member

I had Stocks by Umberger create a stock for me. Adam was very professional, patient, and knowledgable. He spent half a day with me fitting me with a try gun. The stock fits like a dream. It truly makes the gun an extension of my body. As a bonus, it is absolutly beautiful. It constantly turns head. The checkering is perfect. No partial diamonds here. I did not actually pick a pattern, but rather asked Adam to do what he thought would look good with my gun. I guess this does not have much to do with the LOP discussion other than to say that Adam did a good job fitting me.

Regards, Jason

11. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Some Kolar stocks have a longer arch to the pistol grip that could put your hand a good inch or so further back off the receiver.This would give you the same distance between your nose and thumb, but still leave your arm in a comfortable position. Just a thought.

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Don't know why but my final Lop measurement is not the same with my k 80 as it was with my Max t/a. It must have something to do w/stock configuration.
    Lets not forget that a different stance can make a lop measurement change.

13. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Thanks, all, for the advice. There are several good points, I believe, and I appreciate the comments.

14. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Stock fitters bible, Rollin Oswald there is a lot of very detailed info on gun fit.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.