1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loosing my balance at the line

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dave weaver, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave weaver

dave weaver Member

Has anyone ever had any problems standing at the line ready to call for the target and loose their balance? I am having a problems staggering like a drunken sailor.

I mount the gun and then loose my balance by falling forward. Always having to fight keeping still long enough to shoot the target.

I have been thinking about using a stool and shooting from the sitting position. Has anyone used a chair or a stool to shoot from? Please forward any advice.

Thanks

Dave Weaver

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

How about...

SEE A DOCTOR!

There are a number of things that come into play, circulatory problems, ear troubles, medicine side effects etc. etc. etc.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Have a doctor look at your ears you may have a blockage in one or both . It makes a big difference in your balance .

4. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

See your Doctor ,,could be a serious problem,,,,D. Lang

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

And you intend to just work around this problem? Your reasoning is also impaired.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

See a doc is right but yes we do have a shooter that shoots from a chair because of circulatory problems and he manages quite well. Sinus infections do a number on my sense of balance and I don't shoot when I feel this problem. You shouldn't either until you find out what is going on and determine a way of moderating the problem.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have had a similar problem.....the more birds I break in a row, my head swelles....by the time I get to around 4 or 5 in a row, I can barely hold my massive head up!!

sorry, couldn't help it.

tony

8. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

KENENT,,since you broke the ice here,,I'll go ahead and suggest he change his last name,,,

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

OICU812......good one!!!

tony

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

My problem is self induced; I stand with my feet close together and I occasionally get blown a little by a heavy wind. Believe it or not. Darrell

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Darrell, Bill Clinton had the same problem went from self induced to Monica induced!!!

Phil Berkowitz

12. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

How big of a belly are you sporting?

FRedmon

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

FRedmon: That's what weighs me down and gives me my buoyancy and cushions the recoil. It also stores beer. Darrell

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bending the front knee slightly will help you to have better balance, and alos to pivot more easily when you chase angles.

Try it.

HM

15. AlanM

AlanM Member

Dave Weaver

I would suggest that you see a Doctor. I had the same problem, could not figure it out, turned out to be a brain tumor. Went to several doctors until one finally did a MRI. Had the thing taken out in Sept 30, and will be back shooting when the weather warms up.

Alan

16. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

See a doctor, I had an ear problem called labrynthitis, maybe not spelled right. It would sometimes make me stagger and even fall down on occaision, no I don't drink...Bill

17. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Dave, seriously this time, see a doctor and report back. Everyone is concerned.

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Do you use ear plugs?

19. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I have the problem that my feet go numb after standing or walking for 15 - 20 minutes. Have been to a doctor and I have medical problem that causes this condition and it doesn't look like going under the knife will help. SO I have been shooting sitting on a stool for about 2 yrs. Took some time and testing to find out the right height for me and I put a swivel top on a wooden bar stool and cut it off so it is about 27-28" tall. Main problem was learning to lean forward otherwise was going over the tops of angle targets. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

After going through the same thing for the last several months, I finally went to the VA for a checkup.

I have been diagnosed with vestibular neuropathy. Folks who don't know me think I drink and shoot, folks who know me think I am an airhead.

Medication and therapy can help, and the brain will compensate to a point. My days of high caliber shooting are nearing an end. Hopefully, I will still be able to train others.

As has been said above, it can be a lot worse than what I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.