1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

loosing it !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

Started shooting last year with my 1100 slug gun I bought a 30" barrel for.Slowly inproved to consisent mid 20s. Six months ago I bought a xt trap put abuot 800 rounds through it and I got to say I have been shooting it worse each week. tried to adjust the comb ,no help tried im ,f ef chokes no help tried shooting one eyed no help I am left handed and the gun has aright hand palm swell. It seems I shoot it better the first round and get worse as the rounds go on 2,3,4. eneny Help would be deaply apreciated! thanks JOE

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Have you ever shot paper at 36 yards to see exactly where your pattern is going? You might be surprised to find you are not shooting where you think you are shooting.

3. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Sorry I can not help you as I can not help myself! Quit changing the comb and stuff. Line it up so your eyes look down the barrel and out to the house. Get a decent consistent stance and gun mount. Practice, practice and more practice.
    Also even though you may not lift your head, your eyes may lift off the line of sight of the barrel. You need to practice eye control, how you do it I don't know!

Harry

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Get the gun fit to you first, put it on paper second, shoot some rounds third, get back to us. HELLO, sometimes you just need to start at step ONE! :)

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

What is happening to you is not all that unusual.

When you start shooting, you put a lot of effort into "doing it right". As time progresses, you either relax or get tired. Result - scores go down.

The source of the problem is probably that the gun doesn't fit you well. Initially when you start shooting, you bend your neck, twist your head or hunch your shoulder to get the correct sight picture, and you keep that pose until you have pulled the trigger. After a while you either can't or won't do the contortion.

What you need to do is find out what's wrong with the gun fit. One way to do this is to mount the gun with your eyes closed. Then see what you have to do to get the beads to line up. If this involves any significant "scrunching", it's time to start adjusting the stock. The goal should be to enable yourself to mount the gun with your eyes closed and get a proper mount i.e., one where the beads line up.

Oh- about the palm swell. I'm a leftie and I have found that having the palm swell on the wrong side does not cause me a problem. However, if the stock is cast off (bent horizontally) to fit a right hander, I have found it almost impossible to shoot the gun well, even after adjusting the comb. And I speak from experience with Browning Citori stocks.

Ted K.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Do check to see if it has toe out. Common among Browning right hand stocks.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Go back to your old gun!!!
    Steve Balistreri

8. torqueman

torqueman Member

Just checked my stock on my xt and there seams to be a 1/4 inch right hand cast.what next have the stock bent or replace it completely ! I held the reciever against A piece of wood and there is a difference from one side to the other. Thanks JOE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.