1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loosening Adjustable Comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have 2 guns with Greg Hissem adjustable combs. My problem is that the screws keep loosening up and of course then the comb is loose. Any fix for this? Thanks. Ed

2. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

I had the same problem with my comb. FWIW, it was not done by Greg Hissem. I made sure the comb was exactly where I needed it and put blue loctite on the set screws. Has been fine now for about 200 rounds. Don't use red loctite or you will never get the screws loose.

Darryl

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Clear fingernail polish on the threads should do the trick...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Use 2 shorter set screws, one on top of the other... or if you have the space put a short one on top of the existing one. The inner one should always be a bit longer. The inner one is tight, the outer just snug.

MK

5. esoxhunter

Lots of good ideas. I'll give it a try. Thanks. Ed

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You are using spacers under the comb right?

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Like Dan, I use clear nail polish, problem solved. Mine came loose about every 25 shots ( big loads for games) Been tight now for months. I do like unknown solution however

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The idea MK gave is what Greg Hissem did on my adjustable comb and RAD II he installed. It works great and i've never had one loosen.

Matt

9. esoxhunter

I do have spacers; but I need to keep the screws tight. I placed some nail polish on the screws, before I read the reply about using a set screw. The set screw sounds like the way to go. Thanks. Ed

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sounds wierd, doesn't it? Using a set screw to keep a set screw tight.... ROFLOL... Dan

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No different than using a jam nut to keep a standard nut tight on a bolt or stud. Only difference is the threads on the set screws are on the outside while the threads of the jam nut are on the inside.

MK

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Are the post made of SS? If so you must torque them down a little tighter. I make mine out of Brass so this does not happen
    Don

13. esoxhunter

The posts are brass.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Using the "jam" screw is the best idea I've heard of yet! Less of a PITA than having the comb rattle loose when beginning an important round and makes for easy removal anytime!! I lost two targets "thinking" about my loose comb in the first 5 targets at a recent shoot! Had to hold up my squad till I got my wrench out of my shooting bag and re-tightened them, then ran the rest. I'm headed for the screw shop so I don't screw myself again with this PITA problem!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.