1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose Stock Screws

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

What's a good way to repair loose stock screws - the ones that attach the adjustable butt plate to the wood? After screwing them into the wood a few times the holes gets enlarged they start to get loose. Thanks

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Take the adjuster off and drop a tooth pick into the holes. Break off the tooth pick flush with the end of the stock and screw the plate back on. This will work for some time. A better way is to order a set of "gun nuts" from Whiz White. Mash on the above link for information... They work like a charm..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

The solder that comes on a roll is what you need. Snip off a piece the depth of the screw hole. This tightens the screws. Don

4. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have drilled and taped to a machine thread so the screws dosn't make the holes larger, the wood in the stock will tap like metal, you will have to get new machine screws from the hardware store, also do not over torqe the screws. thanks Ronnie

5. 121083

121083 Member

One real permanent way is to get some oak dowel rod about 1/4 or a little bigger and drill out the old holes to that size and then Gorilla glue in a piece of dowel rod. Let it set, cut of the rod flush and drill a pilot hole, maybe 1/8, and reuse the same screws. If you start small enough you can do this a couple of more times if they loosen up again. But in my experience once works and not needed again. Good shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loose wood screws buttplate