1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose Stock on MX-8?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I had the stock off of my MX-8 the other day & after I re-installed it & tightened the bolt, I noticed that it had become slightly loose after firing about 100 rds. I was wondering if it is recommended to use something like Blue Loctite on the bolt. Thanks in advance, John

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Could it be the stock was not completely squared with the receiver when you tighten it back?

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

No. Just snug. post-2

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Scoutman. Get in touch wiht Doug Braker and he will tell you how hard to tighten the scock bolt. Tighter than you think. Better yet, send the recvr and stocl to him and let him accrabedd the stock to your recvr. If tyou live near me, I'll be glad to show you how to tighten the stock properly. I'm near St Paul

5. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

MIA, Actually I sent the gun to Doug Braker last yr. for some R&R & one of the things he did was to use some bedding compound on both the stock & forearm to restore the wood-to-metal fit-up after 35yrs. of wear & tear. I think I may not have gotten the stock on tight enough or as Steve W. mentions, the alignment may have been off. I used a couple drops of blue Loctite & re-tightened the stock. If it comes loose again, I'll give Doug a call. I'm reluctant to tighen it too much on my own because I don't want to risk damaging the wood. Thanks for the advice, John

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The stock bolt must have the machined washer AND locking ring to prevent it from backing out.

If your stock bolt has ever been removed from the stock; evidence MIGHT be if you see the absence of the aluminum retainer guide, part number 355. If this is the case, then there could be a good chance the bolt was reinserted without the lock ring.

I'd hesitate using Loctite, as this is not necessary, but evidences something else is wrong. Perhaps a new stock bolt might be in order.

WW

7. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Hey guys, I took the stock off again & the "retainer guide", part# 355 that Whiz referred to, is intact. The gun had a Soft Touch system installed in 2001 & I don't know if the stock bolt had to be removed for that & I wouldn't imagine Doug had to remove it either to re-bed the stock. So, I guess my next question is whether it is advisable to remove the guide to see if washer #'s 353 & 354 are in place & if so how do you get the guide out? Thanks in advance for any help, John

8. Steve W

John, to remove the guide is tricky, it has teeth to grab the wood around it to prevent the bolt from moving backward.

IMO, if the guide is there, most likely the washer is there. Because it's very difficult to remove the guide.

If you must check, try this:

Insert a 7/8" tube from the stock hole against the guide to keep it squared from the hole, then tap the stock bolt from receiver side to push it out.

9. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Thanks again for all the help. I think I'll play the odds & gamble that since the guide is in place, so are the washers & maybe after 37 yrs. of use & abuse the lock washer has lost some tension. I'll just tightened things back up, start shootin' again & keep an eye on it. John

10. Steve W

I'd do the same thing, watch how the stock go on the receiver, wiggle it up & down a little before the last 2~3 turns to make sure they're squared with the tangs.

I noticed on some guns, I can tilt the stock a little when I tighten it.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I do as steve. I lightly snug, then jostle the stock at the receiver some and then watch it as I send the bolt home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.