1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose stock -- Browning XT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by starship, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Have had the Browning XT for a little over a year now. About six months after I got it the stock came loose. A guy at the club took off the recoil pad and tightened it for me (Thank You).

I was shooting today and notice that the stock is loose again. I know to take off the recoil pad and tighten it (don't know if this takes a special tool or not) but how about fixing it so it quits coming loose???
    I shoot about 100 shells a week.

Sooooo, any suggestions??
    Chuck

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Loctite, blue not red

3. ercowles

ercowles Member

You need a large allen wrench, which comes with the XT. This happened to my XT Combo. I just tightened it with the wrench, very tightly. Now, about every several thousand rounds, I take the pad off and make sure it's tight. You could use LocTite Blue, as recommended, but I haven't found it necessary.

4. starship

starship TS Member

ercowles, I think you are talking about the adj comb, which I do have an allen wrench for.

I'm talking about the entire stock, not just the comb, is loose from the receiver.

Does anyone know if a regular socket set will work to tighten this up? If so any idea what size socket? It's a small opening in there and I'd hate to get a socket stuck at the bottome. Gee, not that that would ever happen to me....:)

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Starship

If your firearm has a factory adj comb, a long 5mm allen wrench will fit. If an after market comb, a big flat blade screwdriver is the ticket.

One should not need Loctite. Secure it with hand pressure only. A person with very strong hands using a big screwdriver can exert about 5 ft/lb of torque. This is "giving it all you got".

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Put a little clear fingernail polish on the threads. Then tighten should not come loose again. There is a pink loctite thats as weak a fingernail polish, its hard to find...
    The rest is what Shooting Coach said.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you tighten a stock bolt during the Winter when it is very cold, it can get a bit looser during the warm summer months. If you tighten it when it is very warm, it will get a little tighter during the Winter.

A lock washer under the stock bolt head seems to me to be a better fix than coating the threads with a sealer.

Pat Ireland

8. starship

starship TS Member

The best answer yet.....I stopped by Shooters Emporium (Moe Bragg) and they not only tightened the stock but also drilled a small hole in the recoil pad so that I can get to the tightening bolt in the future, without removing the pad.

Had a pleasant discussion with the guy that did the work and later with Moe when he came in. Found out somethings about my shooting, got my gun fixed and the total bill came to ZERO!!!!

Great folks to deal with. They did do an adj comb for me on another gun last year. Highly recommend them.

Chuck

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

DO NOT LISTN TO THE ABOVE ADVISE!

Locking the throughbolt will make the problem worse.

There should be a large washer and a lock washer. If on is missing you need to replace it.

If the bolt and washers are correct what you have happening is setback or crushing of the wood due to recoil.

This is a common occurrence and the reason why many stocks crack.

You should have the back flat bearing surface of the inletting glass bedded.

Find a competent gunsmith in your area or PM me.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning xt trap loose recever