1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose side ribs, Perazzi!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by truthseeker, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I have a Perazzi MX8 that has loose side ribs.

The ribs are loose/un-soldered on both sides of the barrels.

The first 3-4 inches from where the barrels are attached together under the forearm.

How do I fix this?

How much does it cost?

Who can I trust to do a quality job?

Thanks!

2. joehunter

joehunter Member

Give Dan a call at Giacomo Sporting. His number is 315-336-1356. He can resolder the rib to the barrel and reblue. He will make it look like new.

Joe

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

What Joe said! Call Dan @ Giacomo. He did a set for me last year.

Matt

4. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

How long did it take for Giacomo to do it and how much did it cost?

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I believe the cost is $350.00 (can't really remember). The price includes rebluing. I am unsure of turnaround time. I bought an old MX8 that was worn out. Dan did a complete rebuild on it. Dan does good work. Give him a call, and he will get you taken care off.

Matt

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My MX8, a 1976 type 3, has had loose side ribs for about 15 years. I was told not to fix them until they got worse. They're still the same as when I discovered it. But I'd still call a good gunsmith about it.

7. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I was thinking about using some Loctite 380 "Black Max" on it, since another gunsmith on a nother site said that is what he has used for ribs that are epoxied.

Any ideas if that stuff will work?

8. Luelife

Luelife TS Member

Call Pat Laib, 320-796-2686. He fixed Annie,s years ago, and it is still O.K.

9. Vulcan

Vulcan TS Member

I have a MX-10RS 34" O/U which I sent to Giacomo about a year ago.Did a great job for $400.However it only lasted four months and it changed the POI.They said that was impossible and they offered to redue the job. Because of the POI problem I tried a home repair which failed so now I am back to square one. Phil Kiner had a similar experience with them changing the POI. This plus the fact Perazzi refuses to acknowledge they have a problem with side ribs and offer no help or remedy is why he is now shooting a K-80.

Don Rimmer

10. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Briley does an excellent job. They lock the barrels into a vice to insure they do not move, and they reblue the gun. Shoot well,

William

11. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

I'm new to the perazzi ranks, bought a 1977 vintage mx8, super shotgun. As I bump into the phrase 'side ribs', I'm puzzeled. my gun has a ventilated step rib on top of the barrel, a seperation piece (between the barrels), exactly 180 degrees from the top rib. Where is the ' side rib'? thanks, Larry

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Listen to Bob Munson on this and call Pat Laib.

OR if the thought of "glue" vs solder is not acceptable then find someone that will only remove one side rib at a time. If they take both side ribs off at the same time the barrels will "spring" and the top will move up and the bottom down.

I know from personal experience. I had to have Tom Wilkinson raise the bottom barrel POI to match the top and then take all the spacers out of my comb to lower the POI because the O/U barrels were shooting about 6 inches higher than the single barrel. This was after I was assured that the gun had been patterned and the POI was perfect (what BS). The side rib job only lasted about 9 months and then started coming loose again. I had the Pat Laib "fix" but the solder job was so poor that the separation of the side rib from the barrel kept moving toward the end of the barrel. I put a screw though the rib and that did not stop it. That year from the time I discovered the loose rib and fixed it (late June) I only shot the Class and Champ Doubles at my state and zone shoots and then all the doubles at the Grand. I never even shot a practice round of doubles during that time.

When I asked Lucio for some kind of price break on a set of new barrels, he quoted me the same price I could get it from a regular Pgun dealer, at the time about $4300.00. I tried to negotiate a better price and when I told him I thought I had helped their sales over the years and that should be worth something-- he told me that he could care less what kind of gun I shot. That is when I decided it was time for a Kreighoff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fixing loose rib shotgun

how to repair a loose shotgun rib

locktite for loose shotgun rib

loose shotgun ribs

loose side rib

perazzi barrel fix

perazzi rib repair

perazzi side ribs shot loose