1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose rib

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Does anybody out there have a hint as to how one can secure the rib to the barrel of my Super X-1 ? The rib separated from the barrel at the very rear. (Where it meets the receiver). It is a spare barrel I purchased to shoot sporting clays. Hopefully I could secure the rib in some way myself. I cleaned up the area where the rib meets the barrel and applied some Gorilla glue, but it only lasted a short time. My guess because of the heat. I really don't want to stick a "ton" of money in this barrel. Thanks. Ed

2. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Wrap black gorilla tape around it.

3. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Some on this site swear by JB Weld. I tried it on one of mine without much success. If you google gunsmiths you can find a number of sites that offer re-soddering for 60 to a 100 dollars, which needs to be followed by re-blue at about 200. Simmons and others will replace the rib and reblue for about 375.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Try some gas tank patch repair stuff. It's sort of like JB weld but it has no metal in it. This stuff hardens like a very hard plastic and I can say heat doesn't seem to affect it. It will come in 2 putty type materials that you kneed together. Ones a hardener. I once patched a goldwings valve cover on the bottom. It was still holding 6 years after I sold the bike and as far as I know it's still holding.

5. gordy h

gordy h Member

Brownells sells a Loctite, Black Max made just for that, worked on my 20 ga. Browning. Good luck Butch H

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Send it to a gunsmith to silver solder- its a cheap repair

Gene

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you live near Lancaster, Ohio I will Silver Solder it for you for free, you may not care to have it re-blued, that is up to you.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Gary: Thanks a lot for your generous offer. I am going to try the loctite method and if this fails; I will get in touch with you. However, I will at least give you something for your efforts. Thanks again. Ed

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You have to use an adhesive that stays flexible for the vibration and tolerates heat. RTV gasket sealer works great. $5.00 at any automotive store.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

JB Weld may work, during recoil there is a lot of stress. It won't be pretty after silver soldering it, I need to have bare metal for the silver solder to flow into and on it. I have a very small oxy-acetylene out fit, relly need to watch the amount of heat applied.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I'll say again try the gas tank patch. It's only a few bucks. I think JB weld will end up cracking.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Guys, I glued almost the whole rib back onto my 101 about 10,000 rounds ago with Form a Gasket. It works.

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I just got my SX-1 barrel back from Stu Wright of Wright’s Inc. (http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com) after they fixed the same problem with my barrel. The front screw holding the rib was also stripped out. They soldered and reblued for 120 bucks and did a first rate job. None of this glue on,--stick on crap.

The blue job was so good, I am thinking about sending the rest of the gun to them.

The Super-X Mod 1 Winchester, and Winchesters in general, is one of their specialties. They are fantastic people to deal with. They will do the job right the first time and it will stay fixed forever.

Think about it....Glue and duct tape, or have it fixed right for $120. You already know which way I would go if it were mine.

Mark

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Permatex, That's what Keen uses to attach their add-on-ribs.

15. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Permatex Black silicone sealant- was $5.00. Has lasted six years and you can not tell where it was applied. Also, if it does not work it is easy to remove.
    And I didn't have to send it anywhere. Took about 5 minutes to do.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.