1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

loose recoil pad on model12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

My recoil pad screws are striped out some one put in large wood screws.What is the best way to fix this .I tryed longer screws and they striped .Should i fill the holes with wood putty and redrill what do you think Thanks Kirk

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Kirk: There are a number of ways to do this. The easiest way is to take a utility knife and cut off some slivers of oak. Push them down into the holes. Then retighten the screws. The screws should draw tight. We used to do this in old houses when the screw holes on the door jambs became enlarged and the hinges would loosen up. Seems a little crude but it will work. I had the same predicament on my Super X-1. It worked great. Good Luck. Ed

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Dirk,

The simpleist fix is using toothpicks and a little bit of wood glue. Just cut a couple of toothpicks flush with the end of the stock and glue them in place with wood glue. When dry, just screw in your pad. I generally try to install 3 pieces in each hole so the screw will stay centerd and not pull the pad off to one side.

The proper way to fix it would be to install inserts into your stock so you could use machine screws and you won't have to worry about stripping out the stock holes anymore.

ss

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They have inserts that can be put in the holes and the pad be screwed in the insert so you won't experience that problem again ... They are available at True Value and probably every other hardware store in your area ... There was a thread on here last week about them, check the archives to see what they all said ... Fix it the right way once and forget it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Kirk,

YPT and shortshucker have got it right!!!!! Put inserts and machine screws in and your problem is solved----for keeps.

Sandy Holehouse

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

or, head to the hardware store and get some hardwood dowel pins- usually 1" or so long by whatever diameter. drill out the stripped holes with a drill that cleans out the threads and matches the diameter of the dowels (1/4" say). wipe a bit of good wood glue on the pin - they are ribbed to let the air escape, and push the dowels into the hole. after the glue has dried, cut off the dowel and redrill the holes for the proper screws.

http://www.bearwood.com/DOWELPINS.HTML

john

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I just pushed that thread to the top for you. It's about the inserts: "Source for brass fitting for butt pad install?"

I tried to talk my kids into doing a little internet business, selling 'gun nuts', for the summer so they could learn something about running your own business, but it's a 'dumb' idea.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

The screw holes are too big. There are many ways to make them smaller so the screws can grip the wood. I use bamboo. It is very strong and lots of it grows 10 feet from my back door. I can never find where my wife hides the toothpicks. Soft wood matches will only hold up for 10 or so years. Filling the holes with epoxy and then drilling new holes takes a little time.

Pat Ireland

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Zardozforty- I am a Gun Nut, but I cannot be picked up at a hardware store and I certainly cannot be screwed into a quarter inch hole with any size screwdriver.

Pat Ireland

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That's pretty darn funny Pat!

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recoil pad is loose