1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose Gun Stock & POI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BrowningGal, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I'm looking for input. I was at our local shoot on Saturday, and my doubles score was less than stellar. Part-way through the first round, my XT started feeling "loose". I thought it was in my mind, and kept on shooting... badly. Birds that should have been dead were still flying. By the third post of the second field, I could actually see a gap between the stock and the receiver. So there I am, trying to "pull" the forearm in and keep the gun together, and obviously I'm missing birds. By the end of the event, I had 1/8" of movement between the stock and receiver.

Now, I know that I was thinking about that gun coming apart and my full focus was not on the targets. However, here's where the main question comes...

Forgetting the mental aspect, how much impact do y'all think that loose stock impacted the POI and my ability to break targets? I was thinking it had to have some kind of impact... especially since I shoot full chokes. However, my boyfriend Mario says I'm just making excuses and there's no way that loose stock had any effect on my shooting other than mental.

Thoughts???

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you were pulling on the forearm to keep it tight, your swing would be all screwed up. The forearm is for balance, the stock hand guides the gun. Depending on the type of comb you have, it could have affected the POI height. Tell Mario he's dreaming, but you have to prove him wrong next time you shoot doubles.....with a tight stock.

3. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

When I stepped off the line and showed some people what happened, that was mentioned to me (potentially cracking my stock). At the time, it never crossed my mind. Luckily, the wood is A-OK. Trust me when I say I will never do it again!

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

BrowningGal- I think you've answered your own question. our mind was on the stock and not on the targets. Happened to me a while back. Stock came loose, I just pushed the stock together, kept shooting and told myself that I'd tighten it after the round was over. Yea, it's not good for it but you tightened it as soon as you could right?. It will probably never come loose again.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Experience I had with a loose butt stock on a Marlin 1895 45-70 rifle was that it caused the groups (POI) to rise noticably. Like maybe 6" at 100 yds? Significant with a rifle--------not so significant with a shotgun?

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loose gun stock

loose gunstock